What does GAS mean?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hooligans, Aug 31, 2005.

1. hooligans

Aug 2, 2005
    This totally sums up my stance here haha. I'm a newish here [ about 2 months] but I notice alot of people speak of GAS when they talk about basses and such they want to buy... sort of like a future list? What does it REALLY stand for? Thanks :)
  2. Gear Acquistion Syndrome?
  3. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Yup. It means you want to buy things!
  4. hooligans

Aug 2, 2005
    excellent, thanks guys :)
  5. This should be a sticky. I didn't know what it meant up until a few weeks ago.
  6. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Today, it means Dingwall to me :smug:
  7. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    gas? i often get it when i've eaten too many hot dogs and had a few beers. look out... :p

no one else went there... i just had too
  8. Pizza and coke do it to me.

(Rumble rumble....uh oh)

Oh yeah, this is my first post as a supporting member. :hyper:
  9. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
  10. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Yeah I had that problem too...
  11. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    GAS = EW (empty wallet)
  12. Today, its a F Bass fretless which have a lot of chance to be mine soon! :D
    But I have so much GAS that I'll need a lot of times to cure....
  13. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    It also means [​IMG]
    When I just bought [​IMG]
    Haven't decided if I want to keep both, due to my lack of finances I should probably let go of one and the F bass is winning so far and I haven't even gotten it yet.
  14. You bought that one from TBer Roscoe5??

15. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I cured my G.A.S. pain, as least as far as amps are concerned. I recently bought an Aguilar DB750, and the pain soon went away... :hyper: However, I've heard that this malady has a history of possible recurrence.

Please indulge me, as I gotta tell you TB'ers about my guitar player. This guy has more G.A.S. than the Saudis! His day job: he's a dentist, so he has a spare buck or two. This guy has seven guitars: 4- different Les Pauls; a Telecaster; a Stevie Ray Stratocaster; and a Gibson ES335 "Lucille". His amps: Marshall JCM900, some kind of Bogner, some other tube pre-amp that I'm not familiar, Fender Twin-Reverb... and now get this: I have a Peavey Delta Blues 30-watt amp with a 15" Blue Marvel speaker. This amp really has a great, but "different" tone, and he played through it the other day during practice. Since he knows that I hardly ever use this thing, and it's still in practically new condition (I've had it for 7 years), he's thinking about making me an offer for it!

Here comes the punch line: this major sufferer of G.A.S. pain is talking about marrying his long-time girlfriend. Now any of you guys out there that know a thing or two about Hawaii women, this beautiful lady (and she is, indeed, all of that) is what we affectionately describe as: Local Chinese (a tendency toward high maintenance here). So I said to him, "Hey, Doc! Everytime you buy another piece of equipment, your girlfriend probably says to herself, 'there goes another 1/4 carat off of the engagement ring'..." He winced a little, and sort of sheepishly nodded his head in agreement... :D
  16. hooligans

Aug 2, 2005

I'm hopefully buying a 55-02 off a guy from here :) that should clear my GAS right up!

(keep the Lakland!)
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It means $3.19 a gallon now.
  18. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Wow! That's a bargain. The newspaper says we're going to be looking at $3.40 - $3.60 sometime next week. Lucky we live Hawaii... yeah? :bawl:
  19. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    means when you,like me,lol think in august in waste your christmas bonus in basses,wich one, :p
  20. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Wow...It's Over a dollar a litre up here in the Falls. Gas prices are getting rediculous.