Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does GAS mean?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hooligans, Aug 31, 2005.

1. hooligans

hooligans

Aug 2, 2005
    This totally sums up my stance here haha. I'm a newish here [ about 2 months] but I notice alot of people speak of GAS when they talk about basses and such they want to buy... sort of like a future list? What does it REALLY stand for? Thanks :)

2. Gear Acquistion Syndrome?

3. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Yup. It means you want to buy things!

4. hooligans

hooligans

Aug 2, 2005
    excellent, thanks guys :)

5. This should be a sticky. I didn't know what it meant up until a few weeks ago.

6. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Today, it means Dingwall to me :smug:

7. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    gas? i often get it when i've eaten too many hot dogs and had a few beers. look out... :p

no one else went there... i just had too

8. Pizza and coke do it to me.

(Rumble rumble....uh oh)

Oh yeah, this is my first post as a supporting member. :hyper:

9. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i have GASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :bassist:

10. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Yeah I had that problem too...
    [​IMG]

11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    GAS = EW (empty wallet)

12. Today, its a F Bass fretless which have a lot of chance to be mine soon! :D
    But I have so much GAS that I'll need a lot of times to cure....

13. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    It also means [​IMG]
    When I just bought [​IMG]
    Haven't decided if I want to keep both, due to my lack of finances I should probably let go of one and the F bass is winning so far and I haven't even gotten it yet.

14. You bought that one from TBer Roscoe5??

Vince

15. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I cured my G.A.S. pain, as least as far as amps are concerned. I recently bought an Aguilar DB750, and the pain soon went away... :hyper: However, I've heard that this malady has a history of possible recurrence.

Please indulge me, as I gotta tell you TB'ers about my guitar player. This guy has more G.A.S. than the Saudis! His day job: he's a dentist, so he has a spare buck or two. This guy has seven guitars: 4- different Les Pauls; a Telecaster; a Stevie Ray Stratocaster; and a Gibson ES335 "Lucille". His amps: Marshall JCM900, some kind of Bogner, some other tube pre-amp that I'm not familiar, Fender Twin-Reverb... and now get this: I have a Peavey Delta Blues 30-watt amp with a 15" Blue Marvel speaker. This amp really has a great, but "different" tone, and he played through it the other day during practice. Since he knows that I hardly ever use this thing, and it's still in practically new condition (I've had it for 7 years), he's thinking about making me an offer for it!

Here comes the punch line: this major sufferer of G.A.S. pain is talking about marrying his long-time girlfriend. Now any of you guys out there that know a thing or two about Hawaii women, this beautiful lady (and she is, indeed, all of that) is what we affectionately describe as: Local Chinese (a tendency toward high maintenance here). So I said to him, "Hey, Doc! Everytime you buy another piece of equipment, your girlfriend probably says to herself, 'there goes another 1/4 carat off of the engagement ring'..." He winced a little, and sort of sheepishly nodded his head in agreement... :D

16. hooligans

hooligans

Aug 2, 2005
    BoiNtC

I'm hopefully buying a 55-02 off a guy from here :) that should clear my GAS right up!

(keep the Lakland!)

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It means $3.19 a gallon now.

18. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Wow! That's a bargain. The newspaper says we're going to be looking at $3.40 - $3.60 sometime next week. Lucky we live Hawaii... yeah? :bawl:

19. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    means when you,like me,lol think in august in waste your christmas bonus in basses,wich one, :p

20. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Wow...It's Over a dollar a litre up here in the Falls. Gas prices are getting rediculous.