What does GB stand for in reference to musicians looking for gigs?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Spirit of Ox, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Jazz & Cocktails Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    It also means you'll need to be comfortable playing jazz standards and lighter pop tunes for cocktail & dinner functions as well as backing up singers later in the evening playing everything from classic swing & rock-n-roll to today's hit dance stuff. Hopefully established bands like that would have a book for you to use.

btmpancake likes this.
  2. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Agreed--- but those are the gigs that paid for all of the too much gear that I own. :whistle:

ColdEye likes this.
  3. IanA

IanA

Jul 31, 2011
    Leicester UK
    Got balls

4. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I'm trying my best to be a total sellout.

Gaolee and RoadRanger like this.
  5. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    ABSOLUTELY! +1000 to this^, best paying gigs I ever done was playing Andy Williams and Karen Carpenter stuff for cocktail & dinner, old anniversaries etc-extremely easy and real good pay. Sorry for the side track-I got a flashback when I read Jason Hollar's reply:).

Jason Hollar likes this.
  6. ColonelZulu

ColonelZulu Not Impressed By Those Who Flaunt “Authority” Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Gay Bars. You'll be playing lots of Cher and Showtunes

77187f_4e20a23b827419e547d78e48041a17b5.jpg

catcauphonic likes this.
  7. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I play this game for every gig I get.

fdeck, Bunk McNulty and bassfran like this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    We always call those "corporate gigs" in the Mid Atlantic. Higher class private parties and whatnot....not always for big companies. The name is used as an umbrella term for any higher class gigs. The bands are also referred to as "corporate bands" quite often around here. Of course, the one I was in was actually incorporated, with each member being a part owner and the band paying salary and benefits.

btmpancake, Joebone and Jason Hollar like this.
  9. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Is it really that difficult to spell out the acronym? It's not like you are paying by the character on Craigslist!

two fingers likes this.
  10. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Same here.

11. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    Have you played Paul's bass part to this song?

Gaolee likes this.
  12. I'm with you. Acronyms are like a disease. I had to look up GUC when I first saw it.

13. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    Guano Backlash.

14. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I'm a bass player. Spellin' waz mi worstest subjec in skool. I is much gooder at sifrin. (That's math e matics for u sity fok.)

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Of course a "casual" usually requires a suit or even a tuxedo....who came up with these terms anyway? :woot:

PsyDocHill likes this.
  16. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Band name of the Day!

btmpancake and NG51 like this.
  17. I think a big part of it is (up here in New England where that seems to be more common term than elsewhere) that it's a kind of subtle pre-screening process for experienced pro-level musicians. If you've got professional GB experience, or hang in circles that do, you already know what GB means. Unfamiliar vague terminology dissuades a significant portion of the more, um, "undesireable" craigslist applicants.

PsyDocHill and Jason Hollar like this.
  18. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    That makes sense.

19. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Yacht Rock

20. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Me too - played both BEG and MS Saturday night :thumbsup:. Passed over a Gitard for a new project a month ago who started going on about songs he won't play anymore. Well hey - more $$$ for me :D. Heck, even played "You are my sunshine" at a gig last summer :wideyed:.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021