1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What does it mean MIM, MIA,. MIJ, MIC, and MIK Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by speckledmind, Sep 22, 2008.

1. I’m new to the Bass world and not familiar with all the lingo, specially not with all the Fender Basses, so could you explain to me what these are exactly.

MIM and MIA fenders. MIJ, MIC, and MIK Fenders ?

Thanks,
    Denis

2. cbass717

cbass717

Jun 30, 2008
    MIM- made in mexico
    MIA- made in usa
    MIJ- made in japan

3. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    MIC - Made in China
    MIK - Made in Korea

Though the ones cbass mentioned are much more common.

4. That simple lol
    Now I feel really stupid for not having figured that one out.
    I actually though you guys where referring to eras, styles and so on.
    Thanks.

5. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    its called google, try it out some time

6. Thanks for the positive input :eyebrow:

After reading pretty much everything in the “ Sticky: NEWBIE LINKS--Updated--Please Read”, that’s the next place I tried, and it keeps referring to the same abbreviations, why do you think I asked.

7. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Somebody actually made a post of all the abbreviations used on talkbass into a list for people to see, but i cant remember where it went to.

Anybody have a link?

8. Don't mind the occasional grumpy poster. I find it amusing that we have a forum where we can ask questions, and then people get flak for asking a question.

If people don't want to waste their time answering a question, let it go. No need for the negative energy.:rollno:

9. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    so many people start pointless threads that could be solved by some simple surfing,

i'm sorry that I came off like a prick

10. Just to prove the point: rather than asking the question here, I Googled MIM, MIA, MIJ and bass guitar. Guess where it sent me? To this thread! So thank you, speckledmind, for starting the thread. It gave me the answer I wanted. Via Google. And Talkbass.

11. Next question: what's the difference between "crafted" and "made".

12. Castagnier

Castagnier

Jun 6, 2012
    France
    "The difference between the "Made in Japan" MIJ and the "Crafted in Japan" CIJ models is to do with who was involved with the manufacturing of the guitars. According to a Fender representative it was in the Fender Japan contract that if there was any manufacturer change involving any part of the guitar then the logo would be changed from MIJ to CIJ. So if the manufacturer changed or the manufacturer outsourced some of the making then the logo would be CIJ. Some CIJ Fenders turn up around 1993 and this seems to be because FujiGen was expanding their factory to be able to handle additional contracts (such as the Orville by Gibson contract) and around 1993 outsourced some of the making to other Japanese companies for a while, resulting in a CIJ logo instead of a MIJ logo. The CIJ Fenders from 1997 onwards are because Tokai and Dyna took over the Fender Japan manufacturing contract from FujiGen resulting in a CIJ logo instead of a MIJ logo."

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Somebody's gotta do it.

14. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    "Crafted" and "Made" are synonymous. "Crafted" seems to be used when a manufacturer, luthier, etc, wants to put emphasis on the quality of the build.

Essentially, mass-produced basses are "Made", while custom-shop basses are "Crafted".

15. Castagnier

Castagnier

Jun 6, 2012
    France
    thanks, you're right, I updated my answer with new info :)

16. puremusic

puremusic

Nov 1, 2009
    Saginaw, MI
    How can you be a newb when you been a member since 1998?

17. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Not with Bassman314's and latter Castagnier "confirmation"...

As long as I'm concerned and have been told by distribution operators and insiders made in stands for fully fledged realized in

crafted in stands for "assembled in...", "refinished in..."

But no science here, so myself and sources could be wrong.

Cheers,
    Wallace

18. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    Yes you did, but we all do from time to time.

;)

19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I collected all the original TB slang terms/new posts and created a master list for review and possibly for replacement of the current list. If you spot any errors or omissions, please post.

$$: Warwick Double Humbucker
    A polite way to mark up a comment to indicate that you know you're making an Off Topic post in a thread
    +1 (or any number): Agreed. More numbers= you HIGHLY agree.
    A/B: When you compare two instruments by playing them one after another.
    ABG: Acoustic Bass Guitar
    AFAICS: As Far As I Can See
    AFAICT: As Far As I Can Tell
    AFAIK: As Far As I Know
    Atoz: Icon designed from TBr Atoz' photo Atoz (A to Z)
    AUB: Acoustic Upright Bass
    Backline: What amps are being used for a gig. Used a lot in rental situations..."Backline provided".
    Bacon: You know... bacon.
    Ban, Banned (Temp/Permanent): for TBer's who are unable to control what comes out of their keyboard on to their screen and into their TB posts AND who are unable to change despite warnings from TB mods.
    Bassface : A particularly ugly/funny/odd facial expression associated with a person "feelin' it" while playing.
    BFM: Bill Fitzmaurice - audio guru
    Bic, 'bic: Alembic basses
    Blocks: Fretboard Markings
    BOH: Back of House (to go along with FOH] Back line, monitors, etc...anything heard on stage.
    BSO: Bass-Shaped Object, a poorly-made 'bass-shaped object'. Heard more in DB(double bass)forums
    Bump or Bumping: Said when you post in your own thread to move to the top of the list.
    CAR: Candy Apple Red
    Carrots: in a thread poll, a choice provided by the pollster for TBers who want to vote but don't care about the poll question.
    CIJ: Crafted In Japan (See MIJ)
    Closet Classic: Bass: Has some signs of aging, cracked finish etc etc.
    Coffee Table: Instrument with highly figured top
    DB: Double Bass
    DC: Double Cut Body Style.
    DI: Direct Inject (Often referred to as a DI Box, or Direct Box). Bass signal direct into mixing board.
    Dinger: Dingwall bass
    Dots: Fretboard Marking
    Emo: Emotional
    EQ: Equalizing, Equalization or adjusting the Highs, Mids, Lows to shape the sound of your bass.
    ERB: Extended Range Bass
    EURB or EUB: Electric Upright Bass
    Fassa: Legendary newbie TBr.
    FCOL: For Cryin' Out Loud
    Feeler, FFS: Used mainly on the "for sale" forums. Meaning "I'll sell if I get what I believe is top dollar."
    Fenderbird: A bass made from parts of a Gibson(or copy)Thunderbird & a Fender(usually). Typically a T-Bird body, Fender neck and any kind of electronics. The late John Entwistle had several made
    Fingerboard: Board WITHOUT Frets (Fretless)
    FL: Fretless
    Flame: A highly configured wood pattern, usually associated with a top.
    Flame: To unleash copious amounts of vitriol on a person.
    FOH: Front Of House
    Frankenstein: A bass made of various, sometimes rarely-used-together parts
    Freq/Freqs: Frequency/Frequencies
    Fretboard: Board With Frets (Fretted)
    Fridge: Ampeg 8x10 cab
    FSR: Factory Special Run
    Fugly: Beyond ugly ... ******* + Ugly
    FUQUA'd: Having Ed Fuqua bastardize your TB handle.
    FWIW: For What It's Worth.
    GAS, G.A.S.: Gear Acquisition Syndromes bemoaned by many a TBr.
    GAT: Get a teacher
    GC: Guitar Center. A chain of music stores.
    Get the hell off my lawn: Uused by old guys when noobs et.al. make us cranky.
    Git Player: Guitar Player
    GK: Gallien Krueger
    GL: Can Refer to "Geddy Lee" (ie. The model) or G&L basses.
    GTG: Get Together.
    gui****: Derogatory term for guitar players. Usage frowned upon on TB.
    Hannie = Hanewinckle
    HH: Double Humbucker Pickup Combo
    Hoffy: Hofner
    HPF: High Pass Filter (Rumble Filter/Subsonic Filter): effect built to eliminate ultra-low frequencies below a certain threshold.
    HPF/Pre: HPF with pre-amp built by TBr fdeck. V3 is frequency threshold adjustable.
    HTH: Hope That Helps.
    Hz: A Measurement Of Cycles Per Second applied to frequencies
    Ibbie, Ibby: Ibanez
    IBTL: In Before The Lock
    IIRC: If I Remember Correctly
    IMHO: In My Humble Opinion or In My Honest Opinion
    IMO: In My Opinion
    J/H: Jazz/Humbucker Pickup Combo
    J/P/J: Bass built with pickups in the format of: Jazz pickup, Precision Pickup, Jazz Pickup
    J-Bass: Jazz Bass
    JM(H)O: Just My (Humble) Opinion
    LGS: Lead Guitarist's Disease
    Lownered: To start a thread or post once ( usually a trollish post ) and leave a thread/TB forever.
    LP or LPB: Les Paul or Les Paul Bass (Referring to the body style); Lake Placid Blue (A colour)
    LSD: Lead Singer's Disease
    Macca: Paul McCartney
    MHDW: Maki has done worse
    Mid-Forward: Bass cab that emphasizes mid-range.
    Mids: Generally: Low midrange.300 - 600 Hz, Midrange: 600 Hz - 1.2 kHz, High Midrange:1.2 kHz - 2.4 kHz
    MIA: Made in USA
    MIC: Made in China
    MIJ: Made In Japan
    MIK: Made In Korea
    MIM: Made In Mexico
    MM or EBMM: Music Man or Ernie Ball Music Man. MM can also refer to the Marcus Miller signature bass
    Mod: Moderator. They can shut you up.
    Mod: Modify as in “Mod a bass”.
    Mojo: Natural, extensive wear on a bass due to years of playing. Such basses seem to have a deep history or charisma.
    Mosh Girl: Thread based photochopped pictures of a girl dancing in mosh pit. Mosh Girl Photoshop Thread
    Mothman: bass of legend, forged in the depths of hell
    My Inspired Pose: Photochop thread based on TBr Oniman's pose
    NAD: New Amp Day
    NBD: New Bass Day or No Big Deal
    NIMBY: Not in my backyard.
    Noob/Newbie/Newb: New Member or "new to whatever subject is being discussed"
    NOS: applies to any object that was originally made years ago and is still in new condition for sale.
    NTTAWWT: Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    OP: Original Poster or Original Post
    OT: Off Topic
    OTOH: On The Other Hand
    P/G: Pickguard
    P/H: Precision/Humbucker Pickup Combo
    P/J: Precision/Jazz Pickup Combo
    P/U or Pups: Pickups
    Paul: Forum administrator/owner. Contact with any issues the mods can't handle, or to file complaints.
    P-Bass or P: Precision Bass
    PBDDI: Tech 21 Programmable Bass Driver DI
    Photochop: modifying a photo, usually in a humorous way. Derived from Photoshop photo software.
    Pillow: Bass tone that emphasizes the lower frequencies but is not distorted but more smooth/rounded tone.
    PM: Private Message
    POS: Piece of ****. Not a good piece of equipment.
    Pre-amp: Electronics located in a bass or it's own box that provides enough signal to be amplified by an amplifier.
    Pwned: Owned
    QFT: Quoted for Truth
    Rage Quit: Posting a tantrum thread and then quitting TB. Possibly deleting one's account in the process.
    Ramp: Small piece of rectangular wood placed to fill space between pickups and used for resting thumb/fingers.
    RB5: Roscoe Beck 5-string
    Relic Bass: A new/untouched bass that has added wear marks/scratches/dings/missing paint (a little to a lot).
    RI: Reissue
    Ric: Rickenbacker Basses
    Rumble Filter: See HPF
    SABDDI: Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
    SC: Single Cut Body Style.
    Scale Length: The length from the nut of the bass, so the bridge of the bass.
    Seagulled: (See Lownered) as in swooped in, dropped some s###, and flew off.
    Search is your friend: A polite way to inform a thread creator or poster to use the Search function.
    Sig.: Signature
    Siggable: a comment/phrase worthy of displaying in your TB signature area.
    Sigged: Putting another TBr' phrase into your TB signature.
    Single Cut: Bass with only one cut away.
    Slab/Plank: DBer's derisive term for bass guitar
    Slab: Bass w/o comfort shaping, like the original Fender Precision Basses.
    Slab: Rosewood fingerboard with a flat bottom on a neck with comparable mating surface.
    SM58: An Industry Standard Microphone.
    SMDH: Shaking My D*** Head
    Spec(s): Specifications
    SR5: Ernie Ball Stingray 5-string
    Stammie: Stambaugh bass
    Sticky: Thread that rises to such popularity and/or contains highly useful information that it's placed permanently at the top of a forum.
    Subsonic Filter: See HPF.
    Supporting Member Pay $20.00 to support TalkBass, and become a supporting member. Pay $60.00 and become a GOLD supporting member.
    SX Basses: Essex Basses
    TB: TalkBass
    TBBFM: The Best Bass For Metal
    The Best Bass For Metal: Humorous reply to a thread/post that asks about "The best", "The most" or any other overused superlative.
    The Qintar: An old poster on Talkbass.
    TL;DR: Too long, Don't Read. Summary of long post. Or Too long, Didn't Read
    Tort: Tortoise Shell (pickguard) or picks
    Troll: A person who posts for the sole purpose of stirring the pot.
    TTIUWOP or TTIUWP: This Thread Is Useless Without Pics
    TTT: “To The Top” acronym for Bump
    Tug Bar: Small piece of rectangular wood/plastic placed on top or bottom side of bass to rest thumb/fingers.
    URB or UB: Upright Bass
    Vertical stacking: cab(s) with vertically aligned speakers for better dispersion and less comb-filtering.See BFM.
    VTC: Vintage Tone Control
    Wick, 'wick: Warwick basses
    WinISD: Speaker cabinet design program, free internet version
    Wish Bass -a bass shaped object made by Steve Wishnevsky- rumored to be capable of making bass like sounds
    WTL;DR: Way too long, Didn't read.
    Wunkay: G&L L-100 bass
    WWMD: What Would Maki Do.
    YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary. Take this advice at your own risk.

madjazzbass likes this.