Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does it mean when you can string through the body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    What does it mean when you have a bass that you can put the strings through from the back of the body, or you have the option of *not* doing this, and stringing from the tail piece? I assume you get tonal differences, but would like to know what these differences are.

Thanks -Skel

2. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Some people claim that sting thru body adds more sustain and gives a tight feeling to the strings. Well, I like it because looks cool :smug:

3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    The idea is that in this set up, the string vibration and the bodie's vibration sort of enhance eachother... more accurately they become more unified and enhanced. You can get richer harmonies of overtones like this.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    ...meanwhile, it reality...

...there's not much difference. To the point where those of us who have played both can't really tell the difference. If there is much difference, it probably has more to do with the string break angle than the thru-body.

5. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    it seems like a large amount of "innovations" are just creative ways to make people think a certain product is worth more than others. i think thru body/non thru body is one example of this.

there are about a million others

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Thanks for the explanations. One part that confused me was that you had the "either/or" option, but I guess it doesn't cost anything additional to provide both options.

Skel

7. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    yea, because certain bridges (like hipshots) have the holes on the bottom for thru stringing plus the top load notches. not evry difficult to provide both options. then you just install string ferrules in the back to retain the strings.

8. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Absolutely. Anytime you see an ad or fan talking about channeling the sound through the wood, sound being focused by bouncing between laminations or some other statement that implies tone can be rounded up and corralled like sheep it's pretty much marketing BS.