Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does it take to be a "qualified tech"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by metalloid, Apr 6, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    just wondering what the qualifications are

2. Well...I dunno, but in my school, it doesn't take much. I'm the ONLY person besides 3 or 4 teachers and the school janitor people that knows how to set up the PA, I'm the one that always has to solve 'problems' with the amps when the tone coming out of them are bad...heck, I'm one of 2 people in the entire school that understands the difference between active and passive electronics on a guitar or bass!
    I RULE! :D:p

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Are you talking tech like "bass tech", they guy you take your bass to for a refret (if you have frets), or tech like "sound guy" who sets up the house system and deals with snobby musicians who feel that they are the center of the universe?

cause i can tell you all you want to know about the "sound guy" kind.

4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    experience

5. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    I am talking about the guy you take to have your bass worked on / set up.

Is there some sort of requirement they have to meet? Or is it just a personal thought on how "experienced / qualified" they are for the job?

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    To be a qualified tech doesn't make sense. By the definition of tech one would have to be qualified. It's like saying qualified brain surgeon.

I,m just ragging on you, Met. :)

To be qualified as a tech/repair person, One must first have his brains beaten out with a blunt object. A touch of masochism doesn't hurt either. If you can laugh when you drip blood on a piece of wood that you have painstakingly prepared for a natural finish, you may qualify. If you can find humor in dealing with a customer who owns a Squire and can't uderstand why it cant be made to to play and sound like an American Standard with an adjustment on the truss rod which he broke last night when he put vise grips on the adjustment thingy.

Seriously, there are no formal requirements unless you might work for a dealer, in which case, some manufacturers may require some proof of competence to do warrantee work on thier products.

All of the repair people I know are proud enough of thier work that they don't mind providing references. Those that don't take pride in thier work don't usually last very long.

Pkr2