what does James Leach (Sikth) play?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fell, Mar 4, 2006.

1. fell

Jul 31, 2005
    i saw Sikth live last week and throughout the gig i just could not take my eyes off the bassists's gorgeous bass. he was tapping and strumming all over the place, giving the twiddly little stick-players a proper run for their money.
    he was playing a five string, with a jazz bass-y headstock but apart from that i didnt get too much of a chance to see the make etc.
    anyone know what bass he plays?
  2. catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    He plays a custom bass made by Chris McIntyre (http://www.mcintyreguitars.com).
    Chris used to work with Martin at Sei, and if you look they are very similar to the Sei jazz basses. I'm actually sort of interested as to why they stopped working together but that is probably none of my business...
    They are very nice basses, but I have a Sei jazz.

3. He is a great player, I still have some article with him from an older Total Guitar that's real nice.
  4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The guy's a big-time player!
    I'm a big fan of the band...too bad I can't buy their CD anywhere :meh:.
  5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    No...never tried that. I'm holding out that the original will be re-released in the US shortly after the new album comes out.
  6. If you want mr leaches sound, weller informs me that the key is ampeg rigs and SansAmp drivers. Works well live too, Im not sure if the amp or the SansAmp has compression in it but he's the only bassist I've seen live able to get an even and audible tapping sound. me included, the cheeky sod.
  7. AmPb100

Apr 25, 2005
    Oh wow I'm so happy he came up again on the thread. They were recording 20 minutes from my house all summer at Bieler Bros studio, but they cancelled their show in Orlando. If anyone wants their cd IM Ah Lay Hahn Dro
  8. I am under the impressionthat James Leach is probably one of the best bassists in the world, up there with John Myung.

But what i cant get my head around is the tone that he manages to squeeze out of that beautiful McIntyre jazz bass.
    He must the most powerful kit.
    I recon that hes got ****ing powerstation coils in those pickups...
    Thats probably why here in england, were having to buy all our electricity form the bloody french; all because all our powerstaions are powering James Leach. But **** it, we can struggle with energy, because James Leach Can have the best sounding bass known to man!
    Sorry im stoned.

But on a more serious note, does anyone know what strings he uses? At first i thought it was **** like GHS boomers or like warwick Black label strings but im utterly stumped. Can anyone offer up some knowledge on my dilema?
    Keep bassing people!
  9. Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    I met james and the band before a show once, he let me try out his bass, it was sweeeeet. lovely guys too.