Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What DOES Jason Newsted do with his old strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jazzbassman23, Jul 30, 2000.

1. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    What do these guys that change their strings every day do with the ones they take off? I'm serious. Do they just throw them away? I'm fairly certain that after a good soaking in my secret solution, I'd be very happy with the sound I'd get from these deflowered strings. So, c'mon, Jason, give me your old strings. I promise, I'll use them.

Zodion likes this.
  2. Zodion

Zodion

Aug 9, 2014
    New York
    To me changing every day is a waste. I still get good tone even after they've been on for a while. My 4 string set had been on for a couple months so I finally changed them. Even then, you can just boil them. It really works. Way too much money after each gig. Plus, you can get coated strings if you want long lasting. Elixir stainless steel. Even without cleaning them and gigging regularly, a guy had them last 2 years. I use them too and support that.

3. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Aug 29, 2010
    West Africa
    RotoSound gave strings to John Entwhistle for life. He changed them everyday.

4. Zodion

Zodion

Aug 9, 2014
    New York
    Well in the case of endorsement, go right ahead lol. But I don't like wasting strings. Even if you string up your practice bass with the old ones or give them to other players.

StereoPlayer likes this.
  5. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the bass techs took them for themselves or for buddies.

Or maybe sell them cheap, haha.

Zodion likes this.
  6. On tour, if you're gonna change, or have changed, a set of strings every show, saving the old ones is impractical. I would be very surprised if they go anywhere besides a trash can. As to Jason's strings in particular, I don't recall him ever saying how often he changes them. If a touring player is having strings changed every day, then he's sponsored and it isn't an out of pocket expense.

Zodion likes this.
  7. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Wow! almost a 15 year zombie thread bump!

Nice!...;)

Eric66, SasquatchDude, lz4005 and 3 others like this.
  8. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The reason to change strings before every gig is not to have the brightest tone, but to have a consistent tone. If you leave them on for months your tone will be different for each gig and you will have to constantly adjust EQ, volume, etc.

Changing strings before each gig means you can use the same settings on your amp, effects, and mixing board to get "your" sound.

Haji and Zodion like this.
  9. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Aug 29, 2010
    West Africa
    Huh...I never look at the thread post date!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  10. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    He he 15 years and he finally got some response.

11. Zodion

Zodion

Aug 9, 2014
    New York
    Wow I didn't even know. I just saw Newsted and responded. I wonder where the OP is

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 LET'S GO BLUE JAYS...(in 2016)...LET'S GO!!

Does he do meet and greets? I have one of his early Metallica basses and I want to get a pic with him and the letter he wrote about the bass. :)

Zodion likes this.
  13. Zodion

Zodion

Aug 9, 2014
    New York
    What does the letter say? And I bet he does. Last I heard he is playing shows with his band Newsted which is awesome. Check their tour dates cause he loves the fans

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I believe this is one of the strangest talkbass threads I've ever seen.

A jazz bass player wanting Jason Newsted's old strings so he can soak those "deflowered" strings in his secret solution and then use them. And he's serious. OK.

15. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    I don't change them, ever.

bolophonic and Zodion like this.
  16. Zodion

Zodion

Aug 9, 2014
    New York
    With flats you don't have to change them

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 LET'S GO BLUE JAYS...(in 2016)...LET'S GO!!

It just says "Here's a bass from my collection, I signed the headstock in Sharpie and you might want to put some lacquer on it so it doesn't rub off, Enjoy the bass ..." etc. Pretty cool.

The bass is a 1983 Jazz and it sounds like crap. It hangs on my studio wall with the letter framed beside it. The letter is from 1995 and that is the year that my wife and I were married (and we are both Metallica fans).

Zodion likes this.
  18. Zodion

Zodion

Aug 9, 2014
    New York
    Man you've got it going on :bassist: and maybe sounds bad now but he probably kicked some serious ass with it. If I had a signed bass with a letter that'd be awesome ;)

19. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    [​IMG]

Zodion likes this.
  20. Eric66

Eric66

Sep 23, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Probably OP will return as Jazzbassman38