Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does length of the pickups determine?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by UtBDan, Jul 4, 2005.

1. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    Do they effect the sound at all, or anything?

Because I want to buy a custom made bass (specifically designed by me and made by a luthier I know, currently saving up for it), and I've located Lane Poor pickups for it. But they're 4x5 and I was wondering if the size of the pickups determined anything about the sound, or was just all about how much space it takes up.

But any details about what the size of the pickups effects would be appreciated.

2. length of blade or pole width's (not over all length) Will determine what string spacing you can run. i.e. 5 string is usually about 2.7" string spacing. "wide 5" is about 3.0" kinda like a 4 + 1 with it having .75" between each string like a 4 string does.

Many bridges such as some hipshot bridges are adjustable. Allowing you to fine tune settings. Depending on pick up style. Such as with pole piece style. This will help control balance. With a pick up that can handle extra width. This will allow you to go "wide" Wich may help you slap. Exspecailly if you have large hands. I find it harder to slap 2.7" 5 string spacing. Than 2.25" 4 string. Next I want to try "wide 5" myself.