1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What does Liam Wilson of DEP use as his distortion pedal of choice?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Apr 22, 2010.

1. I'm getting ready to go into the studio and record on a semi-metal/prog rock CD and the band leader wants my tone to be a little meaner/more aggressive on the recordings. I'm so used to having a clean tone for everything else I play outside of this project but this is a new area for me so I'm looking for examples of tones I like.

I'm liking Liam Wilson's tone on some of Dillinger Escape Plan's newer stuff as well as this chick's tone in the Pink Panda. (Japanese pop punk)

I'm clueless when it comes to distortion or overdrive pedals for bass. Enlighten me please.

2. You should use a Tech 21 XXL B, because it is awesome.

3. Thanks man, I'll have to check one of those out. Any clips of them anywhere?

BTW, here's another clip I like the tone of. Got this clip from another thread here on TB and it's the same chick in the clip I posted in the first post.

4. Low-quality. But you can hear how awesome it is.

5. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    well the girl in the videos...I can't hear any gain. Just sounds like a pick and new strings (in the first video, she's obviously slapping through the second)

I haven't seen DEP in a couple years, I saw them several times on the Miss Machine tour and Liam wasn't using any pedals that I noticed, just agressive pick playing though a tube amp.

A lot of people are pretty stoked on the Catalinbread SFT for copping that style of tone, might be worth checking out.

Personally my favorite distortion of the moment would be a proco rat (lm308 style) with a bass mod done to them (ala FX doctor or Keeley)

Old Skin

A rat will nail this tone pretty dead on...but that's definitely a lot more aggressive than most people tend to go.

6. I play in a tech/thrash band and I use a ODB-3 for some dirt. I've found out (esp. in metal) that it's probably best to keep the bass as clean as possible and add dirt to the heavier parts of the song (that is what I do) or you can keep the ODB-3 on at all times. You can't beat the ODB-3 for the price.

7. Yakob

Yakob

Nov 15, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    According to a Bass Player interview, he rocks a Big Muff...

8. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Tech 21 SansAmp. I've seen them live, that's what he uses.

9. Yeah I remember reading his interview with bass player magazine but don't remember what gear was listed. I believe it's the latest bass player magazine.

10. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

Feb 12, 2009
    I know he uses a sansamp usually but also did a lot with the aguilar tonehammer for option paralysis. Also read somewhere he uses the route 66 overdrive/compressor.

11. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    God dammit every time someone posts some Young Widows I get Gas for a rat something fierce.

BTW, any CD releases for the new Bongripper and Castevet albums?

12. Hmmmmmmm........things to think about. Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'm just going to have to go to the music store and see what they've got, try some out, and see if I can get something used in the classifieds here on TB. Ain't no way I'm paying top dollar for an effect I'll only use a few times on one project.

13. I'm so dumb, I didn't even post a link...

14. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    he uses a BDDI. here's his settings: volume and blend are dimed, Treble at 2 O'clock, Bass at 11, Gain at 2, Presence 0. Big Muff and recently started using an Aguilar Tone Hammer

15. Nice, thanks for that info! Sounds like I'm going to give the man what he wants to hear.

16. I talked to the band leader who's in charge of things tomorrow and he said he's wanting a tone like this. I guess it's cool but it's a little more grinding than what I like. Oh well, it's his project so I'll give him what he wants.

17. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    I would suggest the Sansamp and a Boss ODB-3 for the Edgewater tone

18. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    according to my super secret sources, i think jptron is right.

19. Liam uses a Big Muff w Tone Wicker. As well as the sans amp and Tone Hammer.

20. i read in a 2007 interview in bass player that for Ire Works he recorded 3 bass tracks for each song; one with the SansAmp BDDI, one with the SVT (which, as i've seen/heard live, ususally had the drive up), and then one clean DI

BUT
    this is so late in the post i'm doubting anyone will read this