Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHat does loudness boil down too?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by werbo1, Jun 14, 2005.

1. I have (I believe) a hartke 200 head and a VX1598 (a 15, two eights and a high freq horn)

This isn't as loud as i thought it would be and i thought i would get something louder for $700.

This brings me to wonder what makes something loud? I figure its the wattage from the head, these things called ohms (I think my cab is 8 and the head is only putting out 120 watts with 8 ohms) and speakers.

Does number of speakers have to do with how loud something is? If anyone has a FAQ oe anything that can summarize how to the overall volume is created feel free to tell me.

(BTW, my friends guitar amp is 60 tube watts and is a 410 - its loud as all hell...we gig with it at 3 whereas i'm usually at 8-10 to compete)

2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    There's the power that your amp can supply-

The total surface area of the speakers you're using-

And the effciency of the speaker system, the combined efficiency of the drivers used.

Among many, many other less significant things, these factors can help you to determine sound pressure levels.

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yep... that's the jist of it.

The only thing you've really gotta do is figure out how loud each setup would be based on experience. It's probably best to start out with something very conventional and standardized (410 cab and 300-500Watts).... just to get a feel for what kind of tone or volume your really seeking out for you and whatever music your playing.