What does "MINT" mean?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by misterk73, Jul 10, 2002.

1. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    What can I expect out of a used instrument that is described as being in MINT condition?

I'm a little unclear on the used/vintage/collector jargon...
  2. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Mint = brand new condition

if it was previously owned, it's in the exact same condition as something still in the store

3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    What patrickj said; however, many people incorrectly use the term mint to describe instruments that are "only" in very good condition. I have also heard people say "it's mint for its age", or "it's mint except for these dings". Whatever that's supposed to mean. Either it is mint or it is not.
    So, what you can expect out of a used instrument that is described as being in MINT condition really depends on who you buy it from.
  5. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    It should shine like a freshly "minted" coin, not smell like toothpaste.
  6. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ

Do NOT tease me like that! It's hard enough to stay focused at work, what with Talkbass.com to distract me, but now you have to go and throw tasty beverages into the mix...

7. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    What Turock said.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

It really bothers me when people abuse this term. To say "mint condition except for a few dings" is just wrong. It's either mint or it isn't. Mint is brand-new, unplayed condition. Many of the instruments hanging in Guitar Center are no longer in mint condition because they've become scuffed/abraded by auditions/wankery.

That said, I bought my excellent-condition MTD from someone who advertised it as "mint with exceptions" (paraphrasing). I got a decent vibe from him on the phone, he went into detail about the parts of the bass that were not in mint condition (!), and price was reasonable for a bass in that condition. He did misuse the term, but I don't feel he deliberately misrepresented the bass, so I took a chance and it worked out.
  9. Yeah, Fuzz and Turock are all over it. Think of it in terms of coins. "Mint" means never put into circulation, but kept in a case or a wrapper, so there aren't even fingerprints on it. Judging by that, it's really impossible to find a truly "mint" used bass.
  10. Ideally,"mint" would be as it was when it came from the factory.I tend to classify any used instrument as "near mint" rather than "mint"(unless it was actually played a few times and left in the case).
    As stated in previous posts;the term is often misused and abused by unscrupulous and/or ignorant sellers.
  11. flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    It's a place where money is made.

So I'm told.