1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Does My Bass Weigh?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sulu, Sep 29, 2008.

1. sulu

sulu

Aug 20, 2008
    I have the Fender Jazz MIM. I want to hang it on the wall and need to know what wall anchors would hold it safely. What is the weight of the bass? Fender specs site doesn't give weight. Thanks in advance.

2. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    A. step on a scale with the bass
    B. step on a scale without the bass

subtract B from A. the diff is how much the bass weighs.

3. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    but ideally you should find the stud in the wall and screw the hanger into it.

4. get or borrow Studfinder......screw directly to studs or mount a board horizontally on your wall...couple screws every other stud...and mount hangers to board...If you mount to sheetrock..your instrument will fall eventually..even with the crappy inserts that come with the hangers.

5. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Even if your bass is a boat-anchor, its still probably less than 12 lbs. You can easily find inserts that will carry that kind of weight, but as already mentioned, to be safe find a stud in the wall.

6. vinestreet

vinestreet

Aug 17, 2008
    Singapore
    Off Topic: I hope I'm not the only one getting amused by all of this. :)

7. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    last time i used a stud finder it kept pointing to me :confused:

8. HI BILLY MAYES HERE FOR MIGHTY PUTTY

according to the commercials it would work XD

9. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Most wall hangers that I have had come with anchors, I have five of them on my wall. I have never had a bass pull one out of the wall. If your bass is heavy enough to pull a sheet-rock anchor out of the wall, well personally I would be more worried about your shoulder then your wall..

10. MTMTEX

MTMTEX Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!
    CALL RIGHT NOW AND WE WILL SEND YOU NOT ONE, NOT TWO, BUT THR........

11. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    The MIM's with maple fretboards weigh in around 15 pounds.

12. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    okay, that ain't right.

13. MTMTEX

MTMTEX Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    I think he means in the case. ;)

14. bobschit

bobschit

Jun 13, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hilti makes a product called Togglers available at Home Depots that carry Hilti. Use them. Get the 3/16" (10-24 thread) They're strong. They're virtually idiot proof. All you need is a 1/2" paddle bit for installation.

15. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    A few years ago, I picked up some instrument wall hangers at my local Guitar Center. They came with drywall inserts and screws. In the time they've been on my wall, holding a variety of basses and guitars, I've never seen a sign of them coming loose, and none are screwed into studs.

Based on the one I own, and others I've played, I would say a standard MIM J would typically weigh in the 10-11 lb. range. Fender specs don't list a weight because it varies from instrument to instrument.

16. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I can't say without putting it on an actual scale but I would bet it is under 200 lbs!

Now, on the real side - try to get the screws into studs rather than depending on the drywall.

Dan K.

17. sulu

sulu

Aug 20, 2008
    Thanks for the responses.

I want to hang seven guitars so finding the studs is really out of the question -- at 16" on center I'd have guitars spead out all over the walls. I saw those Togglers sheet rock anchors at Home Depot today, but I am still 50/50 on whether to use them or mount a board horizontally and then put the guitar hangers on the board.

And, yes, the question "How much does my bass weigh" sure sounds like a great set-up line for a punch line to follow.

18. sulu

sulu

Aug 20, 2008
    This is so simple, yet so perfect.
    Only thing is I don't keep a scale in the house. I box and I've weighed the same for twenty years - perfect middleweight.

19. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    I used a strip of base board molding across the top of my wall, screwed into the studs and painted to match the wall paint. Then I screwed the guitar hangers into the molding where the basses would be evenly spaced. Looks nice and professional, no worries about pulling loose from use. Then I sold all the basses but two. :)

20. :p
    Just put it on your bathroom scale.