Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what does paige from orgy do to get that awesome sound?!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by paigehaleyrulez, Mar 26, 2001.

1. paigehaleyrulez

paigehaleyrulez

Mar 25, 2001
    I know that Paige from orgy uses And Ibanez EDC705 and he uses a pick but how does he get that huge boomy sound?
    I've tried it with my bass and i have to use an overdrive pedal on a massive boost setting and turn down the trebal on the pedal and turn off the midrange on my amp. It sounds good but its not exact! Some one help me!

Orgy Rulez!
    Long Live Paige Haley! the king of bassists!

2. Finally, seeing someone who actually appreciates what Paige can do. I'm not exactly sure about what setup is used, I know that they use synthesis ALOT so that might have something to do with it. Oh well, I'm just a beginner, so I can't give you an educated opinion, but bless you for giving the recognition they deserve.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Only two posts apiece you guys? Welcome to TalkBass, if you haven't been already.

I saw a brief rundown on Mr. Haley's setup, and the "huge boomy" you're talking about is several factors, the most significant among them being, $$$$ (as usual :rolleyes: )

First of all, from what I saw mentioned, he uses 2 Ampeg SVT cabinets juiced by 2 Gallien-Krueger 800 heads. A miked ukelele could even sound huge with that rig.

Plus, he has a Line 6 Bass Pod, DiMarzio pickups, and uses Roland midi effects. Midi throws a ringer into the equation, since were talking synthesizer country now, anything sound is fairly possible, coupled with that amplification. "DeMuzik" and "New Sensor" were also mentioned. I don't really know what those are.

BTW, I'm an old fart, (playing over 30 years), and I think Orgy is a good thing. They actually have vocals and can play their instruments. Then again, they aren't to far from turning 40. Anyway, its good to see a new band like Orgy come on the scene that isn't like some of the newer bands with the backwards ball caps who are more worried about their tatoos, piercings, and how high they can jump up and down, rather than the music.

I'm surprised they got signed to a major label just 6 months after forming the band.