Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what does Patitucci play?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Wolf, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    I feel kinda silly asking this - but I just can't find it.
    His website mentions the Yamaha, but not the upright...

2. oystein

oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    He plays a Pöllmann Busetto bass. Don't remember the age but I think it's about 30 years old.

oystein

3. Poellmann Website Link

Click on the Gallery Tab on their site and at
    the top is a picture of John Patitucci and
    his Bass.

peace

4. He actually has another bass that I'm not sure what it is or how much he uses it. The Poellmann though seems to be his main touring bass at least. You can check out his other one on his site.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I believe he has a Vuillaume as well.

6. That's a new one on me Adrian. Tell us more?

7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I don't think Vuillaume ever made a Bass Himself. They were contracted from various makers which some actually worked in the Shop. Vuillaume travelled and dealt alot in vintage Violins. He would not have had the time to make most of the instruments bearing his name. Derazey made Basses for him as far as I know as well as Basses and Violins under his own name. Vuillaume also employed Bow makers and had his own designs as well. He was one of the great French makers but employed many other great makers as to make his Instruments and Bows. It was the same in other shops all over Europe as well. The aquisition of this Bass was in Double Bassist magazine a few months ago within an article about 3 Vuillaume Basses.

8. The acquisition of what bass Kenny? The supposed Patitucci Vuillaume?
    Like I say, this is all news to me.

9. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Yes, it mentions that JP got one of the 3 Basses recently that was in the article. I think Gage had his 5er for sale last time I checked. I also saw another Bass on his website. It looked like a modern German type Bass with a C-ext.

10. I'm having a slow brain day. When you say that Gage had his 5er for sale, do you mean his ( Gage's ) or his ( JP's ) or his ( Vuillaume's ) or what the hell??

11. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    JP used to use a 5-string Bass (Austrian?) for studio type work. It was recently for sale at David Gages shop. Now I see on his site a modern Germanic 3/4ish Violin cornered Bass with rib linings and a C-ext. This is besides the Pollmann and the Villuame. So he is shown on the website with 3 different Basses. Fog clearing yet? Or did I miss something? I just went on his 'site today after reading the first post here so I can't say 100% what he actually owns or uses.

12. No, the fog isn't clearing my Dear. This sentence: "It was recently for sale AS David Gages shop, is an example of you confusing me and everybody else.

13. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Typo buddy.. "AT" David Gages'... Like I said in the first post about it. OK?.. Feeling any better?

14. Firt? No.....I can't wait to hear you play the Dragonetti! :crying:

15. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Sure Paul.. As long as there is no Spelling involved. I spent most of my High School years Playing Bass instead of reading, rightin and rithmatic... :hyper:

16. I live here in Germany and I was recently in Mittenwald with Michael Krahmer who repaired/restored a Bass for me.

We were talking and the subject of Patitucci and his Poellmann Bass came up. Michael informed me that his Bass is a slightly larger than 3/4 Busetto. Michael also said they are now building that same Bass as the John Patituci model. Same dimensions, wood, carvings as the Bass Patituci owns. He didn't give an exact cost but 20K is a good "starting point".

Jason