Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does "poco moto" indicate?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Nov 1, 2002.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, the title pretty much says it all. Specifically, I'm looking at "Fur Elise" if anyone's wondering. If there's an online dictionary with all of these terms, that would be Super, too.

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Poco Moto means "with motion." As for a link, try this site.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the site! That's a great resource.

I'm still a little fuzzy on the meaning of "with motion" or "little motion". I mean, we've all heard the piece countless times, and I know how to play it, but I'm not sure what playing "with motion" entails.

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I relate poco moto to driving on a highway with traffic. One moment you are doing 65, the next 45, then 50, then 40, and so on.

As with Fur Elise, imagine the beginning of the first phrase as lightly stepping on the gas pedal, then gradually adding more pressure and moving faster (hence increasing the speed you are playing for the piece.) As the first phrase ends, you let up on the gas and apply the brakes (slowing the tempo of your playing.) The piece has movement (or a feeling of movement) because an implied change in tempo.

Does this help any?

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yes. Yes it does. Thanks! :)