Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does "Project" mean to you ???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Jul 15, 2004.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Question - I get these contacts from very good musicians with credentials, who talk about coming onboard for their "projects."

I'm just curious to see if you all have had different experiences as to what "a project" means? I've seen it come down to;

> it's not a band that has gigs because we don't do Top 40 covers....

....OR...

> We're going to play "unusual/artsy-fartsy music" like EL&P and early Genesis music.

I just really don't know how the traditional electric bass fits in there...but the money is top-dollar. The keyboardist has been creating the compositions for the Kansas Cosmophere and other tourist attractions.....so, he is no jerk

Any input/insights are much appreciated.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    It can mean anything - it depends on the context. Its so much easier to say the word "project" than a long-winded explanation of what it might be.

I've heard it used anywhere from a studio stint to a couple month cruise ship tour, to a cover band.

If available and interested, just ask "what kind of project?".

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Sometimes it's just a word people use to sound smarter than they actually are. Like "proactive".

It could be that it IS just a project. Like "We're going to get together for rehearsals, work up a bunch of Bulgarian polka influenced death klezmer tunes and work these two BulgarianPolka influenced death klezmer festivals." And that's it. You do the rehearsals, you do the festivals and everybody gets on with their lives. Sure, maybe the festival hits lead to other gigs and you get the phone call.

But it ain't like you are in a BAND. Who may decide that the BulgarianPolka influenced death klezmer scene is in nadir and decides to go in more of a White Stripes direction...

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Project, for me, is either a temporary collaboration, and/or with (often) changing members. More loosely structured time-, member-, stylewise than a fixed band, and with changing working methods.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Whatever I'm working on that is anything more than a one-day crash or jam/recording session.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm artsy as balls man.

7. rickbass

OH GAWD!!!

Ed.........sometimes, you're just fatal!!!!

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Wicked fatal.

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Sometimes I go fetal...

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    To me it means:

"Let's get together and see what we can come up with, but it's not going to be anything long-term."

11. rickbass

fwiw - I just got an email today about "the project." The guitarist is Lance Threet from the Clocks. They had a hit in 1982..........as the reference says -

"The first single, “She Looks A Lot Like You” was a quick chart hit and spawned the MTV Video, directed by Bill Dear, who was fresh from winning the first video Grammy for his work with Michael Nesmith. As one of the first concept videos, it played on MTVs debut season for more than two months, while also popping up on HBO, Cinemax, and all the budding new local and regional clip shows. "

I think this is a "project" I'd like to pursue!!!!

12. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Congrats, Rick!!!

Sounds like it'll be fun!!

13. rickbass

Thanks, mucho, Mark.

....Now, if only I had that Accugroove of yours to damage people with my sub-41 Hz's!!!!

14. from:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=project

3 : a planned undertaking: as a : a definitely formulated piece of research b : a large usually government-supported undertaking c : a task or problem engaged in usually by a group of students to supplement and apply classroom studies

I can't think of a better term to describe it. Except maybe, "experiment" which would be like a "project" with the possibility of going horribly awry.

Not quite sure I agree that it is used by people trying to sound smarter than they are.
    Though, "ain't" is a word people use to sound dumber than they are. :D ( also, see Merriam Webster: "... widely disapproved as nonstandard and more common in the habitual speech of the less educated ..." ) :eek:

- Dave

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The best projects are the ProjeKcts.

16. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    SPACE GROOVE

17. Ed, you are my hero.

I use "projects" as a general term that includes bands and related musical endeavors. For example, I'm currently involved in three projects: two are bands, and I also back up a solo artist. The third isn't a band in the typical sense; it's more along the lines of contract work. Using "projects" to describe the three collectively is easier than saying "I'm in two bands and I back up a solo artist"...I'm going to conveniently ignore the fact that saying the former often results in saying the latter anyway in response to a request for clarification. ;)

18. I've always used "project" as a synonym for a band.

Now, how about "revue?" :D

19. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Masque!

20. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    This is an interesting thread.

Generally, it use to be, when someone said, "project" to me, I thought of something ephemeral. This would include things like a recording project, or a ensemble put together specifically for a short term goal, that will disband as soon as its accomplished. (such as a pit orchestra for a play)

Now, I generally say project to ecompass the whole band system. My singer and I both have business mentalities; so we look at the band as something that should be both a musical and financial venture. When talking about business decisions, such as what venues to play, or what musicians to hire, we may say something such as, "This is what we need to do to make this project a success". So I say project, because if you want a band to work, it's going to encompass more than learning/writing tunes, and performance. It truly is a "project" because there are many tasks going on.

But if you think about it, bands are also pretty much ephemeral. I've always said that if you can get a band to last 3 years, you've done pretty well. (and it's even more amazing if it's the original members)

BTW, I like silentstranger's answer. It really does save a lot of rambling, plus it makes you sound more professional.