Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what does rosin do exactly?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Samie, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    What's the science behind it. Do you actually need it?

The cheap class basses actually bowed better after applying the teachers pro-rosin, but do you need it at home to practice?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I don't know the actual "science" behind it, other than it is sticky and application helps the hair grab the string.

You should have your own decent cake of rosin for use no matter where you are. However, don't immediately apply rosin every time you pick up the bow, use it only if needed. Never salt food or add rosin without tasting it first. ;)

3. Our Conservative mid-western luthier, Bob Branstetter has a great presentation on rosin..........Bob?

4. Says Who?
    I'd rather see yours!

Actually I don't know all that much about the actual mechanics/physics of rosin for the violin family. If anyone is seriously interested in exploring the subject, there was an extensive scientific paper written a few years ago by Dr. Jim Woodhouse (Cambridge Univ.). You could probably find it with a Google search. Dr. Norman Pickering also delves in the the subject in his book "The Bowed string".

Merry Christmas

EDIT - Here is a link to a presentation Dr. Norman Pickering made for the SCAVM in 1994 titled "How the Bow Produces Sound from a String".