Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHat does that even mean anyway????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Jan 17, 2002.

1. ALthough I'm sure we all have a vague understanding or our own definitions, I wonder what other people mean when they say the following, and what the actual definition is if there is one....Feel free to comment/add at will....

>'Growl' (aka:"Classic Jazz Growl"/"Jazz Growl")

>'Balls' (I know none of my equiptment has testicles, so what are you talking about?)

>'Aggressive' (I know the definition of aggressive, but I'm not sure that it means the same thing for everyone in the bass world...)

I may look like an idiot, but I do have my own opinions and thoughts about these terms...I just want to know what they are intended to mean, and how others interpret them.

Peace
    Graham

2. growl - Jazz bass... both pu's up full as well as tone. smooth, cuts though the mx, generaly plenty of mids.

Balls - low end rumble. Turn the bass knob on your eq all the way down. that is a bass w/ no balls.

Aggressive - i dont know how to discribe it, but i know what it sounds like... hard to explain...

and to throw in a few to confuse you more...

Punch - Low mids... hits you in the chest at loud volumes... the "gut" of your sound

Warm - dont know how to discribe it other than an all tube amp...

Thats all i can think of for now, i knew a few more guitar ones, but those would probably confuse you more (crunchy, glassy, smooth, twang, bite, snap, ect.)Most of the terms, i dont know how to discribe in words, but know it when i hear it.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Muttluk hit it on the hear. but I'll add:

Growl-I've played some basses that actually growled. You know like a lion or a tiger. OH, WHAT A SOUND!!!!

Aggresiveness-IMO, that's more of the player than the bass. I'm a very aggressive player which add more growl to my bass sound.