1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What does the AMP amplify?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Protegent, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Protegent

Protegent

Sep 25, 2018
    Hello, I've recently tried out the dropped C tuning on my bass (I'm kinda new to bass, I know this sounds pathetic), and every single pluck the C string, the string hits the fretboard (or a fret) and makes a noise. Is this noise only acoustic, or can you hear it thru AMP? If you can not hear it, what is the point of slapping/poping?

2. You will definitely hear it through an amp. Only you can decide if that's a problem or not.

3. BrBss

BrBss Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    You will be able to hear it through the amp. To drop the strings down that low, you will probably want to get thicker gauge strings to increase the tension so they won't be so floppy. This might also require widening the nut a little bit so that putting a larger string into the slot doesn't break it.

4. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Just a couple of questions...

Did you change strings to tune to drop C?

Do you own an amp? Can you hear the noise through it?

Have you ever listened to, or watched a video of, someone playing slap and pop? Could you hear it?

(P.S: the answer to all of these questions should be yes ;) )

lz4005 likes this.
  5. Protegent

Protegent

Sep 25, 2018
    Thanks for all of your replies, the thing with strings leads me to another question, I bought a second hand bass with strings already in it, so I have no idea what they are and how old are they, is there any way to find out? (btw yea, I do have an AMP, but its a practice cheap one with only 3 meter cable, so Im not sure wheter it was acoustic or not)

6. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Here are my thoughts on what is acoustic and what is not acoustic. Acoustic means you play with out an amp. A stand up bass can be played acoustically meaning played un-amped. You can amp it if you like. If so you would not be playing acoustically.

A rhythm acoustic six string guitar could be played acoustic - meaning unplugged, however when you plug it in it is then referred to as an electric guitar.

In your OP your C note played unamped is acoustic, however, once the sound is run through an amp we no longer speak of it being acoustic....

An acoustic jam session means don't show up with your amp.

Little play on words.....

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  7. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Put a slice of thin deli meat between the strings and fretboard. If the meat gets shredded, it goes thru your amp. If the meat is relatively unscathed and still delicious , it's only acoustic

Nashrakh likes this.
  8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Pimento Loaf or Mock Chicken?

9. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I was thinking of ham or turkey, but surely any good tone-meat would do.

10. BigBasserino

BigBasserino

Apr 30, 2017
    I've found that fret noise is much less audible through an amp than "acoustically", however your finger noise (I read you're playing drop C....kinda low without a tweak) will come through loud and clear. Guess this is the meaning of bass being a "percussive instrument" compared to guitar. Anyways. ....try not to get too flappy on the strings.

11. Karlson541

Karlson541 Banned

Jun 9, 2018
    Any reason you can't just listen to hear if the strings sounds right for what you are doing?

12. Yools

Yools

Jul 24, 2009
    Deepinaharta, TX
    I don't mean to derail the thread, but I'm claiming "Tone-meat" as the name of my next band.

-Y

Lobster11, rufus.K and Farseer like this.