Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does the Ben Harper Bass Player Use

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Impulsee, May 28, 2003.

1. WHat kinda bass does the Bass Player from Ben Harper use??~?? its a 5 string jazz bass, but is it like... a MIA fender jazz??~??

- w00t

2. fello

fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    As far as I know, Ben harper's bass player(Juan Nelson) uses and endorses MTD basses.
    I'll post a link to his gear page, on the innocent criminals(then name of the band that backs up Harper) website.
    http://www.swer.net/english.tic.juannelson.gea.html

3. hm...i dont know. Go to www.benharper.com and look at pictures from australia. He has a big light blue jazz bass...hmm.

- w00t

4. fello

fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    You' right, look likes a Jazz bass.:bassist:

5. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    On a side note, I just got Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals 'Life from Mars' and I have to say this guy is good. Very good.

6. fello

fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    I agree!.He's a BadAss!!!

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I think it was reported in Bass Player (not that it means anything) that Juan used his MTD for the "Life From Mars" album. And I just had a listen of the new BH album at Borders and it has MTD written all over the sound - clear, punchy, almost NO decay on the notes... sounded like an MTD to me... but then again that only goes so far!

I vote MTD!

8. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah!! In a BP interview a few months back he stated he used an MTD he recently recieved as a gift from a friend that he fell in love with a few days earlier at a music store. I'll have to look, I may still have the issue.

9. He used to exclusively use mtd's. I did some research on his Fender jazz 5, and couldnt reallu figure anything out. They dont offer that model in that color or with a pearloid pickguard, or maybe its just not with the pearloid pickguard. It could be older, or it could be a custom shop. I'll ask him next time i see him, and report back. I think he may have fealt the need to pick up the fender to get the right sound for some of the funkier stuff they did on 'Diamonds on the Inside'. But yeah, Ill talk to him, and report back.

10. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    The friend is Ben Harper. Juan visited the store with a friend, and that friend told Ben about the bass. Then Ben bought it for Juan.

As others have said, Juan also plays a 5 string Fender JB.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well, I've seen pictures of this 'new' type of Fender 5-string Jazz in recent fender catalogs. I think Reggie Hamilton helped in the design of it, judging by the block inlays and pearloid pickguard.

[​IMG]

12. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    i thought he only used MTD 535, but i guess by thoes fender pix ,not true! however, yah he is an endorser of MTD

13. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    IMHO Mr. Nelson is a most excellent bass player.

Nice hat, too!

The article in Bass Player a year or two back talked about him using MTD's, but also mentioned a Fender custom shop 5 that he had just gotten. This might be it.

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The tone he got on "Live from Mars" with his MTD is KILLER!:D

But, I thought I read somewhere that he's got a Sadowsky in his arsenal that's seen some time...

15. Damn, I want a friend like Ben!

16. Yeah, I'm pretty sure he plays a w00t.

17. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    He also has a fretless Wal 5 String that Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam gave him.

18. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Arizona
    That green Jazz he is playing in the above pick looks almost identical to a Fender Custom Shop Jazz I had the chance to play a few weeks ago at a local shop. From what they told me Fender builds just a few of these and I gotta say this bass was THE sweetest Jazz I've ever played. The tone and playability was equal to many boutique basses I've played. They make them all by hand, no factory line work done on these things. They are pricey, as well. Quartersawn necks, hand wound PUP's, custom color, block FB inlays. The list on them is somewhere between $2400-2700. The one I played 'Nice Guy' price was $1900.