1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What does the Death Cab for Cutie Bassist play?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bdubs16, Apr 26, 2009.

1. bdubs16

bdubs16

Mar 29, 2009
    orlando
    On their website it says that Nick plays the following:

Basses
    Lakland -Skyline Bob Glaub Signature- Black
    Lakland -Skyline Bob Glaub Signature- White
    Mike Lull Custom- White
    Mike Lull Custom- Black

Amps

Ashdown ABM 900 EVO II
    Ashdown NEO 2x15 Cabinets

What I'm wondering is if he plays flatwounds or roundwounds. It sounds like plays flatwounds but I can't tell. I know he plays with a pick. Anyone know for sure what kind of strings he plays?

I play a Fender MIM P-Bass w/ passive electronics and a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder Pup. My amp is a Genz Benz GBE 600 through 2 Hartke 4 x 10 transporter series cabs (I know they are ******). I'm going to be getting new cabs soon, thinking about 2 x 15, but I really like my P-Bass. Just trying to replicate his sound as close as I can. Oh and if this in the wrong section, mods feel free to move.

2. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    i wanna say he plays the glaub with flats usually......it might be likely that i'm wrong.

3. bdubs16

bdubs16

Mar 29, 2009
    orlando
    That's what I'm thinking. May have to just suck it up and buy a pair of flats for the first time in my bass playing career :eek:.

4. cymbop

cymbop

Mar 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Root notes. Eight of them in every bar. On every song.

:bag:
    Sorry. Carry on.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

I'm not familiar with their music at all....but THAT'S FUNNY!!!

All I can say is that if you get the flats, give them at least a few weeks of break in time before you judge whether or not you like them. To me (and I think a lot of flats guys would agree) they don't sound as good out of the pack as they do when they are older.

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    True 99% of the time, but "I will posses your heart" has a decent little groove to it.

7. bdubs16

bdubs16

Mar 29, 2009
    orlando
    Any brand you would suggest that's not super expensive but still sounds good?

8. D'Addario Chromes. Just spent $25 on a set, first time I've ever played flats. Definitely the best $25 I've ever spent on any bass gear. If you don't like them, it won't break you're heart/wallet.

9. I've seen a film clip of him using a Jag. Can't remember which.... and it was likely used because its purdy.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What he said. ^^^^^^^ Chromes.

11. crooked teeth has a good line.

there are other ones, i just dont know them by name.

12. aquamentus

aquamentus

Apr 15, 2005
    Keokuk, IA
    Funny. Who is he? Me?

13. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    Yeah, this is kind of a touchy subject, because I just got done with school, arguing with my friends that went to see their concert recently about how their music takes no skill. It's just one man's opinion. I've never been a huge fan of them, or their genre of music, and I've never really understood why they're such the hit they are today. It doesn't make sense to me. It's just like Coldplay to me. I'm just not a fan, and I'm not jumping on the bandwagon everyone else is. (I'm absolutely PISSED that Coldplay got Rock Album of the Year)

14. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    I just listened to it just to make sure I knew what I was talking about, but it's EXACTLY what he said. It's just the root on a quarter note. At least the part I listened to was.

15. come to think of it, you're right. it wasnt so much the line that i was thinking of, it was the tone during the bass break

16. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Yes and no. For an indie band, a lot of planning goes into creating the soundscape that they have. They're by no means the most complex band, but they do write some pretty decent pop tunes, and there's a lot of play back and forth between the vocal leads and the rhythm. Check out "blacking out the friction" and "we laugh indoors", definitely a few of my favorites.

As for flat, +1 to Chromes. I play SS rounds on all my other basses and I could never really find a set of flats that I liked until I started using Chromes. They have a great feel to them.

17. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    Because it does take a lot of technique to write a great song. That's why they are successful. They may not write great, grooving, harder rock songs, but they are doing really good as is. Why change the formula?

18. bdubs16

bdubs16

Mar 29, 2009
    orlando
    The singer is a great lyricist which is why I think they have pulled such a huge crowd. There aren't too many songs where you listen and are like on that's a cool riff, etc. His bass playing style really works for that music but I was more after his tone than anything. I'll give some Chromes a try this weekend and for the following weeks before my band goes to record an EP in late June. If I don't like them I'll just switch back to my tried and true rounds.

19. I read somewhere that in the studio, his secret weapon is an epiphone jack casady semi-hollow and that he switches from rounds to flats depending on the song, wich makes a lot of sense.

Live he uses P-basses.

As far as the whole 8th notes per bar thing and dissing of death cab and coldplay, etc.

If it's so easy to do that kind of music, why are all of you guys still in your basement and not on top of the charts?

20. Brian Fox

Brian Fox

Aug 23, 2004
    Editor, BASS PLAYER
    When I talked to Nick Harmer (said bass player) a few months back, he said he played most of the record with an Epiphone Jack Casady signature -- a gift from Jeff Ament, no less! He switches between roundwounds and flats. As far as their appeal goes, I think Chris Walla, the band's lead guitarist, is one of the hippest producers in "indie rock" (or whatever you want to call it.) They get some great sounds on record. I loved their live show, as well.