Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does the horn do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Feb 7, 2006.

1. hi everybody!
    i have been looking at cabs and i see a few cool ones that don't have horns, and i was wondering what is the purpose of the horn...i realize it has something to do with the tone, but how does it affect it?

2. Gives you high treble response for "slice" I think.

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    :bag:

Just adds some hiss.

:ninja:

:bag:

Really, it just adds some of the really top end. For me, I haven't found one that I liked having on - I find the tone better with it off. The frequencies up there aren't doing much with the tone, just adding an extra layer with some sparkle on it.

4. well, i've been kinda working my up to a modern sound, i like that wooten sounds (sorry i can't think of any other specific player, basically i like a more modern sound)
    ...so i was wondering if a hornless cab would be a step back from my progression :)

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I have a Ampeg PR410HLF and an Eden 410XLT, I keep mine half way and have never heard a hiss.

6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    If you want modern sounds, then you probably want a cab with a tweeter.

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    waiting for a Joe Beets blast........

8. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Chances are, you'd be better off with a cabinet with a horn in it. You could always turn it off.

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The purpose of it... I am not sure. I just turn mine down a bit and trust Mesa/Boogie.

10. but I want to know what frequency the horn deals with...i know tweeters are for highs, subs are for lows, but where does the horn come in?

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The horn is a tweeter.

12. aha!
    thanks bill!

i feel kinda stupid now :)