1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What does the "i" stand for anyway?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SolarMan, Jul 20, 2012.

1. I have an iPhone. We have iTunes. Now we have iThis and iThat. Just saw the banner ad here for the iStomp effects box.

What the heck does the "i" mean?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

"Internet, Individual, Instruct, Inform, and Inspire"

3. Anymore it means "i" am cool therefor "i" must buy it so that "i" will have the latest, greatest, and newest i-thing

4. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Insipid

5. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    An iDump = taking your iPhone on the throne for an hour.

6. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    It supposed to represent you. I as in Me. Like MyPhone.

7. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I = Its All About Me, Myself and .....................I

Which is why people who own iPhones, iPods, iTouch, etc are obsessed with and totally loyal to Apple because they cater to the "I" in us.

8. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Intelligent?

9. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    iSomething = eSomething + 10 years.

10. shakey_slim

shakey_slim

Jan 3, 2001
    Spokanistan
    i=√(-1)

11. It originally was for "Internet", as in the first iMac having built-in Internet capabilities. I'm currently reading Insanely Simple, by Ken Segall, who named the first iMac.

12. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    +1

It's marketing speak, you know, BS in a shiny wrapper. The products aren't awful, but I'm not paying fashion accessory markup on a comms unit! :rollno:

IMO of course...

13. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Idiotic

14. Absolutely correct. "e" was for electronic, as in eMail.

As for i being the square root of negative 1, that's priceless, since it's an imaginary number. That said, "i" can be interpreted to be the "i"ndividual, but it can also be for "i"maginary, and "i"magination is where "i"nnovation begins.

Z (which stands for "the end")

15. More on the 'i' thing, Apple kept on using it for branding purposes, in the consumer products. I'd say it worked quite well for them. And I guess every other company who jumped onto that bandwagon. Segall mentions how Intel totally screwed up in this sense, since they were forming a great branding of products all sounding like elements, yet when their mobile CPU was going to be called Mobilium, last minute they changed it to Centrino. Incidentally, the original logo for the Centrino was changed, after Intel chairman Andy Grove remarked that it looked like his prostate.

16. My son does this! It drives my wife crazy that he spends all that time in the bathroom texting while on the toilet.

17. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Very good sir, ver good :)

18. Apples "i" products are more consumer oriented. These include; the iMac, iPad, iPhone, and iPod. Back in the PowerPC days there was the iBook. There are of course products that are for the normal consumer (meaning non pro user) that don't have "i" in its name. Those are; the MacBook Air and the Mac Mini. Previously the plastic MacBook would have been on that list, but it was discontinued in favor of the 11" MacBook Air.

On the program side of the things at Apple, we have the iLife programs. They are bundled with every Mac and are available on iOS (iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch) iLife includes iMovie, GarageBand, and iPhoto (I could be wrong but don't feel like checking :p ) these programs are consumer oriented, while a pro user would use Final Cut X instead of iMovie for editing purposes. Their office programs are in a pack called iWork and have a text editor, slide show creator, and spread sheet program. iTunes was originally named for the iPod and Apple then started putting "i" in front of program names.

"e" can also mean education. Apple make the eMac for school use. It was a cheap Mac, used the older CRT monitors, and came at lower clock speeds. It used a modern (for its time) PowerPC G4 processor. Also iy used a white plastic casing like the iMac G4. I owned one a year ago and it still performs well.

"i" in other companies means "I finally realized people have been fooled into thing a product with an 'i' in its name is popular, and I think it will increase sales" we now live in the iEra.

The only iStuff I use is iLife (on my MacBook pro) and my Xbox live name is iHate MacBooks. I don't like the idea of living in an "i" world, but I have to use it sometimes.

19. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    so instead of "words with friends" it is "Pooping with friends"...the new gaming sensation