1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What does the limiter button do on ampeg pf-350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nomadhang, Jan 22, 2012.

1. I play with this button pressed and I am not sure exactly what it does. There are two little lights next to the button but I never see them light up. Any clarification would be appreciated.

edit: found the answer to this but can't seem to see how to delete this thread....

and a limiter is basically like an extreme compressor that doesn't let your signal clip/peak if you start playing harder, this is my understanding.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's it in a nutshell. Ideally it only hits the highest peaks and leaves the rest of your sound untouched. I never use mine because I like the peaks, but the one on the PF350 is pretty cool and not too intrusive.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The other thing it does is keep you from playing inappropriately during your set. :bag:

4. I notice a slight change in tone when toggling the limiter button on and off.

To me The PF-350 sounds a tiny bit 'throttled back' when the limiter is on.

But I leave it on anyway, just in case a bird, or a thrown beer bottle, accidentally
    crashes into one of my pickups, and momentarily overdrives the signal. :D

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Wait!! What's innappropriate?

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    It all depends on the music one plays. :D

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I used mine (on my PF-350) when I went from my passive bass to my hot active Spector Euro. Did the job without getting too squashy.

8. Do you guys use the -15db cut on this amp? I keep mine on, my gain cranked full, and my volume at about halfway.

9. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    It limits.

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Nah! It goes in or it goes out!!! :)