Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does the redline on the tachometer mean?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Nov 14, 2002.

1. I'm researching cars still and I saw one review that was going nuts because the Acura RSX redlines at 7,900 rpm.

What exactly does the redline mean? Is a high redline good?

2. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    The redline is where the factory deems safe for a certain motor to rev. Basically;)

They only clamor about the little imports' high redlines because they don't make any torque and HAVE to rev higher to make any power. Also, I think there's this silly thinking that the higher it revs, the more high tech and neato-wiz-bang-pow! it is.:rolleyes:

All just my opinion.

Hope that helped.

Alex

3. a redline of 7900 RPM on an import 4 banger means that that is the point at which your doing some major harm to your engine IFF you keep it there. On standards people like to shift right before redline because it improves torque and you stay in the power for longer. most domestics have redlines around 6k to 6500.

4. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    In laymans terms, that little red part of your tachometer is the redline. If you drive up to the redline and leave it there, your engine goes RRRRRRRRRR and eventually goes kablooey! That simple;)

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As far as I'm concerned, if you're in 5th gear and redlining, it means you're having fun!!!! ....until you get the ticket.

6. Hmm before i had ANOTHER engine put in.. my car would redline at 40kph.... :eek:

:D:D

Merls

..not to mention the smoke phheewww

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the cool thing about the RSX is that it not only will rev high, but the i-VTEC gives it more torque than its predecessor. it's not a messing-around car.

all things the same, the engine that revs higher makes more power.

8. Oh well. Not going to get an RSX anyways 'cause:

- I can't drive manual. :rolleyes:
    - I don't have enough money. :(
    - I come from a Chrysler family :D

9. Red Line(ing): An area in which Banks will generally not grant loans to businesses or homeowners.

This is hard to prove, though. ;)

Mike J.

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Makes more power where? At redline, or just in general it makes more power?

I shift my engine at 6500, and go thru the traps at 6500. My bottom end/heads/cam etc are good for 7200, but the car doesnt go any faster if I shift it there, its just more wear and tear on my valvesprings.

11. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Yeah, that's the thinking I'm talking about. Just because an engine revs higher doesn't mean it makes more power. Just like Mike said, I used to race a 97 Z28 and it would redline around 6500, but it didn't make anymore real power past 6200, so the extra rpms didn't mean anything.

It's the area under the curve that matters, anyway;)

And an RSX isn't exactly a 'no messing around' car. A Z06, or a 360 Modena?? Well, that's a different story.:)

Note...none of this was meant as a flame towards anyone, just trying to educate the masses. lol

Peace.

Alex

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Right on. Ideally, peak torque should be somewhere around the shift recovery point, to help accelerate the car at the bottom of the gear change.