What does the Sonic Maximizer exactly do

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, May 9, 2005.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've been curious as to what the Sonic Maximizer on my Bmax really does. I like the extra tone shaping options that it gives me with my active bass (don't care much for what it does for my passive basses, so I turn it off). Is it a like a shelving control or a signal booster?
  2. I've read the sonic maximizer evens out the sound coming out of the cabs. Different frequencies travel at different speeds and the unit evens out these differences before sending them through the amp and speakers. I use a BBE 422a with a peavey t.b. raxx preamp and it sounds great with a passive bass, in my opinion.
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Oh okay, I understand now. I read a lot about that in my manual. I really wasn't sure if it that was its purpose, or if it was more of a sound-shaping control.
  4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Has anybody actually AB'd in a blind test to see if you can actually hear the difference between on and off with the Sonic Maximizer?
  5. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    you can hear the difference between a rig with and a rig without.

for me...

before, amp sounds good.
    after bbe, cabinet sounds like it had the pillow thats covering it, lifted off.
  6. You can definitely hear the difference. It boosts the low end and makes the high end crisper.
  7. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Hmmm neat...I thought it was just a fancy name for compressor
  8. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    This is terrible. Now I'm getting GAS for a BBE BMAX-T. :meh:
  9. how can different sounds travel at different speeds?
  10. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    They don't, as long as they are traveling through the same substance. The BBE process (IIRC) makes the signal more phase coherent.
  11. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    I really liked mine with my GK1001RBI, but after not using it for awhile I hooked it up the other day to my GBE 600 head to enjoy it with that amp. I got some tone but mainly alot of hiss, so I checked to be sure it was hooked up correctly in the effects loop, it was, cables are good, everything looked tight. Is this a sign something could be wrong with the BBE Maximizer, don't have another amp to try it with. When I hit the red button on the BBE to bypass, hiss went away. :meh:
  12. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    i have a RBI and i wish i would have gotten the BMax because it comes with the maximizer. Im thinking about getting the pedal unit and power supply and keeping it hooked up in my rack, since all my rack spaces are taken.
  13. Looking at their website, it looks like the BMAX-T is some kind of bass preamp. Do their bass preamps have "sonic maximizer" technology in them or are they something else? :confused:
  14. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yes, the preamps come with a Sonic Maximizer section (which can be turned off and on as one so desires). They also have surprisingly good compressors.

I love my B-max. It's very hifi sounding which works great with the Rock band I'm playing. If I were playing Blues, Country, Oldies, ect. I think I would want something more traditional sounding like a Sansamp or Eden Navigator. The only two things I think the preamp could use are a mute switch for tuning and a dedicated level control for the balanced output. The volume knob controls both the balanced and unbalanced outputs, so what I'm getting on stage is what the soundman's getting back at his board. I had to turn down at last Saturday night's gig because I was sending a really strong signal to the board. The preamp is very hot to begin with (it's very easy to smoke the inputs of a power amp if one isn't careful), so a dedicated level for the balanced output would definatley be a plus.
  15. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    From that it seems to be an all-pass filter followed by compressor.
  16. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003

Who cares what the "Voodoo" is.
    It works.
    I've seen it in just about every studio and broadcast facility.
    Must be doing something.
  17. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'm intrigued, what will this do in conjunction with a already on compressor?
  18. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I've found that the BBE is most useful for revitalizing the tone that compression can often suppress.
  19. I used to use one, but it broke. I thought it sounded great though. Couldn't put my finger on exactly what it changed, but it did sound better on than off. Their explanation sounds fishy to me, with all the different amps/cabs, how can it know how and where the phase is goofed up to correct it? But whatever voodoo that they do, it sure do good voodoo, not doo doo.

So I'd have to say in my opinion, it sounds great, but they don't know what they're talking about when they try to explain how it works. Which probably means its really ME that doesn't know what he's talking about.... :D Obviously they know something I don't, cause it does make the sound clearer.
    No question.