Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does the typical talkbass user listen to?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by backtoschool, Nov 5, 2000.

1. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    I've noticed alot of you guys out there seem to love 80's heavy metal. I also noticed that alot of you out there love to trash the new metal like korn, deftones, etc...
    I was wondering why you guys feel compelled to do this.
    Do you really think that this new music is that bad and your 80's stuff was that great.
    Also, how many of you 80's enthusiast drive a camaro and sport a mullet?

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
  3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    80's sucked. :)

But, Korn and Defotnes are NOT metal. They don't consider themselves metal, so why should their fans? I've had to drive that into the head of every Korn head I'v met. (In case you can't tell, I'm the president of the local "Korn Sucks" chapter:D)

E.G.-
    "We're not metal"
    "Yes you are."
    "No, we aren't!"
    "Yes, you are. You're metal, and I'll make sure everyone knows you're metal!"
    "But we're not metal!"
    "You're the greatest metal band ever. Period. You're the only one I listen to, but you're still the best!"
    "We're not Metal!!!"
    "I know you guys are metal."
    "ARGH!"

That's about the size of it, and let's face it, you gotta have someone to pick on. Might as well be Korn. A while back it was metallica for "going soft" If it bugs you, don't let it. Just stick to your guns. That said, Korn suck!:D

(this is only about a half, maybe 1/3 serious post, so don't take offense)

[Edited by Brendan on 11-05-2000 at 05:10 PM]

4. reveille_509

reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    Ive never really took the time to care about what other people listen to but I listen to stoner rock and heavy metal. I dont like korn or limp bizkit because I dont start listening to bands because other people do. (And I hate those people who think Slipnot are new) I guess now that you've said it a lot of people here are mullet bearing 80's lovers.

5. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    I'm glad to see that you agree that 80's suck but you didn't even answer my question WHY you think KoRn sucks and while you are at it, could you tell me WHY YOU think KoRn isn't doesn't play metal and what section you would put them in.

Don't worry, I don't take offense if someone doesn't like a particular band that I like, I do take offense when someone says an entire genre (a genre I love) is crap.

6. I don't think todays metal sucks. I like Korn (shhh don't tell anybody here). But they've changed alot, but all bands do. And I wasn't one that jumped on the bandwagon with them. I saw them play live at small local club here in late 94 before they had video or radio support and they were very cool. Alot of people like to dog out underground bands that acheive "mainstream" success. As soon as the "preppy" or "normal" kids like something that was considered underground...all the fans that heard them from the beginning begin to dislike them because they're (the listener) no longer considered non-conformist. MTV picks up the band (and radio), and alot of fans consider them sell-outs. Wether you like the music or not, it's not really fair to the people in these bands because it's not their fault that mainstream pop radio likes them. And the fact that they are liked by many doesn't nessessarly mean that they suck. It's funny that the "non-conformist" only consider "good" metal to be the obscure band that no-one has heard of. And sure, there are great bands that go un-noticed by the mainstream, but my point is that mainstream success doesn't mean that you suck. I like alot of the "new" metal. Sevendust, Hed p.e., Disturbed, Linkin Park, etc. All music...rap, metal, blues, country...evolves over time. I think that's VERY cool.

Variety is the spice of life. Especially musical variety.
    (p.s. 80's metal was cool, in the 80's)

[Edited by ThePez on 11-05-2000 at 05:54 PM]

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I'd peg em (Korn) at just plain ol rock, or, as they have said, alternative.

Why do I hate Korn? Well, more than anything, I hate their fans. (No offense, you'll see why) because nearly all think that Korn is Metal, and that they are the most original, most passionate, most everything band to ever climb up otta the muck of suburbia.

People (Metal) has been seriously detuning their guitars for years, and the sonic sluge that they make (wall o noise) isn't new. And 98% of Korn fans think they are the best ever, even though most don't even recognize names like Sepultura (Beneath the Remains era), Abigor, Celtic Frost, Napalm Death, Jungle Rot, Morbid Angel, all these great, and (opinion coming) better real metal bands. The ignorance is astounding. Metal this, metal that. Metal, is a new freakin industry buzz word. Limp is not Metal, Korn is not metal, they are rock outfits, and millions of MTV Drones think they are the first and best. Limp are the pioneers? Can you say Biohazard!?

As such, the ignorance and blind following of MTV Drone Monkeys alligning themselves without even trying to think are what Drive me to hate Korn. I've played some serious metal (Sepultura's "Beneath the Remains") and had Kornies tell me "That's not metal." ***!?

Korn is a corporate icon, of which I have come to abhor. They stand for everything I hate about MTV and most teenagers. Korn fans think they are rebels, that they are outside the box, and they think for themselfs. Most can't give me a solid readon why they like Korn.
    "BEcuase they rule! Korn Rocks!"
    "Why?"
    "Because."
    "Why?"
    "Shut up, you don't know anything, Korn Rules!"

Typical conversation. Korn is not a metal band. If they don't consider themselves metal, then why do their fans? (See previous post). When people like that flock around something tehy know nothing about, and try to tell me that they know more about Metal than me, and have all these false notions about being badass, rebelious, ect, then I hate the leader. Their moronic MTV Messiah Korn. They did not bring metal back. They aren't metal. They are a detuned rock band that brought back corporate whores who call themselfs metal to play of a trend in music (see 80's Hair "Metal"). I hate what Korn represents about culture, society and music that I hate.

And their bassist sucks. Musicly? Soundgarden downtuned a step. They are not innovators, they are not original, they just have the uncanny ablity to convince people they are. Lyrically? Riiiight. Not even going there. Would take to much time. They aren't special. When people think they are the best (see earlier statments), then it boils my blood.

Note: I am by no means original either. I am nothign more than another peon who THINKS he knows something. Only thing is, more often than not, I end up actually knowing more than 95% of the 12-18 MTV Drone Monkeys. And then there are the leeches who buy all four albums (or three around Follow the Leader) and claim to have been into them waaaay befor ethey were popular. I've actually seen it happen. Kid who didn't know who Korn was. Got into them Via MTVs "FOAL" Korn Video, and then tried to tell me he was into them like, since the first album. Those people really get to me.

Thats why I hate Korn. As for Limp? See my signature.

[Edited by Brendan on 11-05-2000 at 06:14 PM]

8. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    It seems to me you can't find an actual reason to hate the music itself more than you've found for a reason that what you call "kornies" like the music for. You've become so wrapped up in the news around the music that you've completely lost site of what you are hating. I, like you, do not particularly enjoy limp bizkit, yet I do not label them as **** and do not label their fans as suckers. I find it interesting that you put korn in the same class as the backstreet boys or 'nsync when you say they are "corporate whores". KoRn has its roots and paid it's dues and deserve the fame they get just as much as any band. They didn't put themselves on MTV, the fans did, and I don't know of any band that doesn't want the exposure that will enable them to continue doing what they love, making music.
    It seems to me you are just against down tuning in general. But as The Pez said, variety is the spice of life.
    If you want a reason why a KoRn fan such as myself like them, then I will give you a legitimate reason. A few years back I was having some trouble in life and I happened to be listening to KoRn's first album and I could identify 100% with the lyrics and that gave me a release and made me happy. That was an important point in my life and I don't attribute KoRn as the sole factor that helped me out, but they were as big as any other.
    You've put together the typical KoRn hater formula
    (insert band) + (lots of fans) + (mtv approval) =I hate them
    All you got to do is listen to the music for what it is, not what people say it is. If you only here what you want to then that's what you'll hear, if you look a little deeper then maybe you'll find true fans.
    I am not the defender of all things KoRn, but this is more of a broader statement defending the genre and bands like KoRn. And the term metal and rock are taken to literally. Most people don't think twice when they say metal and rock, most will consider them the same thing, which to me they are. I'm sure you can come up with a list of reasons why they aren't but rock 'n roll is rock 'n roll is metal is rock.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I am prototypical as far as hating Korn, but you seem to have me mixed up. I don't hate MTV, or bands with a large fan base Take Godsmack. Mtv likes em, and I still like them. It's not and anit-MTV and popularity stance, it's and aquired disklike. And I dig Down Tuning, it was a point, not a dislike.

I do legitametly hate Korn, and for a few reasons. For instance, critics praise them for their personal lyrics. Jon Davis writes personal. So? Anyone can. It's not a challenge. He "sings" about a ****ed up life, bad childhood, ect. But, when his/their whole albums, like All of, but Follow the Leader (which still is), are based on that, then it becomes whining, and moaning, not working it out. If he's that ****ed up, he should seek therapy. As a muscian, I can dig technical profiency, and just groove (Like Green Day. 3 power chords, but it's still all good), but Korn has no real method, no real compositional skills. Thud thud sing thud thud scream thud thud. It's remarkably simmilar the entire time. (Though, to their credit, anyone that can do four albums worth of the same crap has got some skill). And people rever them for this.

I don't get it. As for a typical Korn hater? not really. I think I'm a step up, because I realize they have some measure of talent, and they have something people like. What it is, I don't, but by seeing that they have good points, then I feel that I'm a step above. I do know people (my best friend) who just hates Korn because a lot of teenie boppers like them. Again, I'm not saying I'm special, I'm just saying that more than anything, I hate what Korn stands for. I listened to them before I was expoised to the massive amount of anti-korn, and I still found them trite and repeditive. See what I'm saying? TO me, it seems like a calulated move to appeal to the alienated, no a plea, or natural thing. The first, maybe, but then they just seemed to say "Hey let's keep doing this! We get that whole Screwed-Up Demograph!" Not litterally, but kinda.

Korn are not corperate whores in the sense of selling out and liking it, but they just seem to have no sense of direction. Four albums of the same seem not to be playing what they like, but a lack of creativity. I know that the songs are dynamic, but they all have the "mud" feel.

And not to attack you, but, Metal and Rock are vastly different. It's just a thing I picked up in the Metal underground.

I can't stress it enough: I'm not claiming to be a unique, original guy. I just happen to not like korn for reasons that other dislike them. I just happen to have a better understanding of trends and corperations

now back to Korn: I don't hate the Korn people in specific, personally. It's the people who only like them because others like them. If you have legitimate reasons, then be a Korn Phile. More power to you. But when you just follow a trend, then god help you. The problem is that it's hard to distiguish when everyone tells you the same things, and gives the same reasons, then they become the worst kind: Trendies.

You aren't, I can give you that. But, I still think Korn are weak, and need to be hit with some sort of pork product (slapped in the face with a porkchop. Can you imagine who embarrassing it would be to tell someone you were beaten to to a pulp with a porkchop?)

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    or something like that....

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    What is a typical Talkbass user? Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

Will C.:cool:

12. Come on Brendan, tell us how you really feel. :)

Now I'm not a huge Korn fan, but I do enjoy some of their music. When they first started out, they we're the pioneers of "mud" and hip-hop beats under a heavy de-tuned guitar riff and a second guitar playing some sort of off the wall melody. To hate a band because of "teenie bopper" fans is kinda dumb. Which basicly is your argument for hating them. I don't like INSYNC because their music (IMHO) does nothing for me. Not because of Corprate sponsorship or MTV teenie boppers. As far as their music having no direction and 4 albums basicly the same, I can see that. But on the other hand, very respected bands do the exact same thing (RATM, Greenday) and don't get hammered for it as much. If your in a huge, successful band like Korn, your gonna make the kind of music that got you where your at. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? If the other "real" metal bands you mentioned, like Biohazard or Sepultura gained a real mainstream following, they would go the same route as a band like Korn. Everybody would claim to have loved them from the beginning, MTV would play them all the time on TRL, 13 year old girls would put up their posters in their room, and a lot of "true" fans would begin to hate them because they "sold out". Now you may say that would never happen with those guys, but that's what I thought about Metallica, back in the day. They vowed never to make a video. They vowed never to "sell out". They were "keepin it real", but you know what? Money Talks. Bottom line. If I can sell more records and market my band to "teenie boppers who want to be cool" by cutting my hair, getting a slick producer and make expensive videos....then you do what you gotta do to get paid. When you make it to that level, it's all about the money, and if you don't think so, you're fooling yourself. Maybe in the beginning it's about the music, the release, the fans; but not once you get a taste of the "high life". You gotta make more and more and you'll do whatever your record company, producer, publicist, stylist, manager, promoter...tell you to do to keep the money train rollin. And if you don't "play ball" you get no more support from the record company, MTV, radio, etc...(look at the black crowes).

Anyway, my point is...

Don't hate the player, hate the game! :D

13. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I am 48....no camaro.....no mullet.....actually like some Korn....

hmmm...am I typical Talkbass user?...:)

14. S*** man, I listen to all sorts of stuff. Here's some of the groups I listen to....
    Allman Bros.
    Beatles
    Black Sabbath
    Cream
    Eric Clapton
    Doors
    Jimi Hendrix
    Led Zeppelin
    Bob Marley
    Ozzy Osbourne
    The Police
    Pink Floyd
    Queen
    Santana
    Buddy Guy
    Chuck Berry
    B.B. King
    John Lee Hooker
    Muddy Waters
    Albert King
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    James Brown
    Marvin Gaye
    Isaac Hayes
    Curtis Mayfield
    Parliament
    Sly and the Family Stone
    John Coltrane
    Stanley Clarke
    Miles Davis
    George Benson
    Charles Mingus
    Sting
    Herbie Hancock
    Jaco Pastorius
    Victor Wooten
    Weather Report
    Louis Armstrong
    Green Day
    Gov't Mule
    Dave Matthews Band
    Incubus
    Primus
    Sublime
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Wonderlust (Hey Dave, thanks for the cd man!)
    Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
    Kenny Wayne Sheperd

15. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    I've seen your type before, in order to gain musical integrity you claim that the popular bands suck and underground is so much better, when the truth is you are denying the fact that you do enjoy listening to the popular "crap".
    Brendan, why don't you do yourself a favor and listen to a KoRn album. Don't "listen" to the popularity of it, or the fact they have a huge fan base, or that you don't like the their fans. Listen to the music itself. Listen to the bass, the guitars, the drums, the vocals. I have a hard time believing that you really don't like KoRn musically. I'm not saying that you are going to end up liking them, maybe you'll end up hating them more because you found out you really don't like their music.

Hey, let's keep this clean, shall we?

Will C.

[Edited by Big Wheel on 11-08-2000 at 11:53 PM]

16. I'm a 41 year old, from the old school of metal, but I got to tell you, I really like some of the metal coming out now. I love Korn, and Limp Bisquit, Creed, Godsmack. I could go on. Don't get me wrong, I love Led Zep and - well don't get me started, but there's some really cool music coming out now. We're all musicians. It doesn't matter what kind of music we play, there should be a mutual respect. I grew up with classical violin training, but I like Korn . Wassup with that?

Herm

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, I feel that I am pretty typical and definitely one of the longest-serving. This "discussion" means absolutely nothing to me, so far - apart from a lot of people using a lot of words to slag each other off.

To get back to the original question - I mostly listen to Jazz, but also some 20th Century orchestral music - like Messiaen, Mahler, Shostakovich etc. I also like to keep up with other cultures - like Cuban and African music.

18. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Gomez
    Morcheeba
    Manic Street Preachers
    Blur
    Bluetones

And most Indie guitar stuff except Oasis

I have liked U2 since the War album came out.

Who are Korn ? :)

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Exactly! And who cares?

20. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have a few reasons for hating it. I don't like it. Period. It bores me senseless. I can't stand to even look at them or hear their name. They look stupid IMHO, the image does nothing for me. I call it all image rock, along with slipknot and bands of the like. I doubt you will get where I am coming from. I truly believe it's a generational thing, and that's OK.

I am REALLY REALLY into 80s metal, as most here know. I am also into alot of 90s/2000 metal ala Nevermore, Death, Stratovarius, Cemetery and tons more. True metal is my life. I don't wear baggy jeans with my underwear hanging out, I don't have a funny hair-do (matter of opinion :D), I don't get high, I have no piercings and never will and I don't wear clothes that are rehashes of the 70s. These opinions are mine and are the way I see that genre of music.

In the immortal words of "OTTO" on the Simpsons, "They're just ripping off Judas Priest, man." That is so true, and throw Sabbath and Zeppelin in the mix.

Whatever. This is a neverending conflict and the 2 parties would never come together.