Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does this all mean?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Aug 12, 2001.

1. I was just reading the technical information on the 1000 watt Carvin head. I then realized I don't know much about this. Anyway if you can help, I'd be grateful.

From the Carvin site:
    "R1000 Power: 2ohms: 500/500w, 4ohms: 350/350w, 8ohms: 225/225w Bridged: 4ohms: 1000w, 8ohms: 700w"

The 8x10 Carvin cabinet says it operates at 4 ohms. Isn't an ohm a measurement of resistance? And what does it have to do with amps?

What does Bridged mean and how would it affect me if I had the R1000 head and 8x10 cabinet?

If the 8x10 cab runs at 4 ohms, does that mean it's only using/getting 350 watts?

If it did have to run at 350 watts, would this package be louder than a 500 watt Crate keyboard amp with a 4x10 or 4x12 cabinet?

Sorry if this is confusing you, but it's sure confusing me.

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    1) Yes it is a measure of resistance.
    Speakers are the resistances in this case. Amps are designed to handle a Load.

2)Bridged means that the Power Amps (2 in this case) will work toghether in series.

3)Yes And No. Yes if you connect the cab on one of the Channels Non-Bridged. If you bridge both channels then it will recieve the full 1000 Watts.

4)That depends on the efficiency of the speakers and total SPL.

3. Thanks, that's a lot simpler that I previously thought.

4. So, I CAN run a full 1000 watts into the 8x10 cab?

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yes.
    With the Bridged Mono option Engaged.

:)

6. Thank you once again. Im all cleared up now. :)