1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What does this date mean on 79 Sting Ray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stevewd, Aug 21, 2012.

1. $%28KGrHqJ,!iwE+3YywJYTBQIbt+tnPw~~60_57.

The one written in ink at the top of the photo. 6/16/83 IR looks like.

2. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    id assume production numbers; maybe quality control

3. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    A repair maybe. Or work of some sort done in the pocket ? I'm not familiar with mm basses. Is that washer/rivet looking thing normal ?

4. I believe that is a neck tilt adjustment screw.

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I bet the neck was made in 79 but wasn't used until 83. Maybe 83 is the assembly and QC check date.

It could have been the person that bought the bass as well.

6. Yeah, that could be.

7. The pots are 82 so the neck being older than the rest makes sense.

8. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    That would make it an 83 Stingray made with some 79 parts :D

9. Yep. Still a great bass but he wants a little much for it IMO.

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I'm thinking not.
    In late '80 MM started switching to 4-bolt necks, and by '81 were full-blown into 4-bolt neck construction. And the body is stamped March '79.

Could be a date because it went back to the factory for a repair. I know early MM had finish issues with the finish bubbling up and many were sent back in for refin.

11. Oh right. We are looking at the body not the neck. Duh. But he says the pots date to 82. So 79 unused body, or repaired and used, with 82 electronics?

12. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    The listing says the pots are dated 82.

It also has the early 80s style logo with the label dropped lower near the g string tuner, and the electrolytic capacitors which apparently appeared around 81.

Something fishy about this bass.

13. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    There's no way MM would have sold a leftover string-thru body in 1982. As others have mentioned, it's most likely a factory repair. "IR" could mean "internal repair" (?)
    Regardless, that bass is WAY overpriced. This bass has a story that puts a serious dent in the collector value. Yet his asking price is on the level of what you could expect to pay for a clean, unmolested bass of the same vintage.

14. Emmaporkchop

Emmaporkchop Guest

Jun 23, 2009
    From the picture it doesn't look like a 4 bolt neck pocket, but the screw hole towards the top seems like it should be more centered.

15. Agreed!

16. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    The seller left off a photo of the neck date stamp. Here is my guess: This is a parts bass from at least two different musicman basses, one 79 and one 82. I'll bet a photo of the neck heal would show that it was originally bolted to a four bolt 82 musicman body.

17. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    It IS extremely clean though. I would NOT pay that much for it, but that's just me.

18. I sent him a question about neck date and serial number. Not that I'm going to buy the bass. I'm just curious. But not George.