1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What does this Input / Out put allow me to do.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by r05c03, May 12, 2006.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Mornin'

I have a Peavey Minx 110 that I have, by many a TB'er to keep, even if it is moth balled in a closet. However I have a question about a function of this combo. There is an input/output about which in the manual is said:

A stereo out/in jack is provided for line-in patching of effect devices from two amplifiers. A shielded 'Y' cord with a 1/4'' stero plug branching into two 1/4' mono plugs is required for this connection. The "tip" of the stereo plug routes the signal effects device input. The effects output is returned through the "ring". The "sleeve" is ground. The first click of this stereo jack can be used as a preamp output with out disturbing signal flow to the remainder of the system.

NOTE: if the second click is used without returning any signal to the system from an effects device the preamp will be disabled. The Preamp level is approx. 1 volt RMS and is high impedance (600 ohms). Any effects device used in this loop must be capable of recieving this 1 volt input and providing 1 volt in order to properly drive the power am

So, does it basically an effect loop? Can the Preamp out function be used to drive a power amp? Can my most combos with a Preamp out be used to drive a power amp and thus a cabinet? Is there a good book on equipment that someone can suggest that I can pick up so that I can stop asking these questions.

2. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    It IS an effects loop. In the PA side of things we call it an "insert".... as in, "insert a cool thing you want to use HERE".
    Interesting use of the jack with the one and two click idea.... according to what you posted, you should be able to use the "first click" to send to a power amp. Actually, kudos to Peavey for a really decent explanation of how it works!
    And the preamp out is EXACTLY designed to run to another device.. some like to DI it and send the signal to the sound board, with all EQ and gainstaging intact, unlike DI'ing straight from the bass. As an out to an amp......YEP, that'll do!
    As far as books on gear and it's proper use....man, there's all KINDS of them, some better some not. I can't name anything, but the forums at prosoundweb.com have a lot of talented engineers who have over time explained dang near ever function of every device in existence. Better yet.....search the forums here. The senior posters and mods are incredibly knowledgable, we have access to factory guys, tech guys, and skilled individuals of all kinds.

3. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Thanks! So then I can run the preamp into a poweramp and thusly power a much larger cabinet without buying a separate preamp?

4. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    So then can I use this output see above to go directly to a PA system? What kind of cable do I use?