1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What does this mean? (Phone issue)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Jan 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Update edit!!!!!

Just got off the phone with US Cellular. Turns out many of you were correct. It is just call spoofing. It's even weirder though. You can download an app that will allow you to display whatever numbers you want on called ID. It's that simple. Interesting.

About once a week a get a call from someone local. The numbers are all local.

Me: "Hello"

Other person: "Yeah I had a missed call from this number."

Me: "Uh..... nope. Not me."

Other person now indignant: "I'm looking right at it and you called me."

Me: "There must be some technical issue or mistake. When did you get the call?"

Other person: "Just now! There's no mistake. You called ME!"

Me: "Sorry, no. Didn't happen. This phone has been in front of me all morning and I have called no-one."

Then it just gets worse from there. As many people on TalkBass who are scared to death of phones, I assure you that isn't a problem in Eastern NC. Twenty years ago I would have invited these jerks to meet me in a parking lot. But I'm more chill these days.

Anyway, the carrier is US Cellular. The numbers are all from my town. Some are land lines and some mobile. The voices are all different.... some men, some women. Some more annoyed than others and some just confused and kind. It's happened about ten times now.

None of them have tried to sell me anything and none of them have said anything about wanting to meet me. They seem genuinely as confused as I am. No scam red flags have presented themselves. I have even tried to bait them a little and they seem more suspicious of me than I am of them.

Whataya think?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Call your carrier and complain?

Oddly and two fingers like this.
  3. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    number spoofing?
    Maybe somebody having fun with ya?

A simple app is all it takes.

4. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Spoofing. Scam call that pretends it's from your number, to callerID. Or their's, depending what the scam is.

I don't know the details of how it works, but I know it can be done and is, so that scammers from other continents can appear to be from your town, not wherever they are from.

Some of the scams are supposedly just trying to get you to say particular words so they can create "you, saying XYZ" and use that as authorization for something "he said yes, we have a recording!"

5. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    First on the list. I was hoping to be armed with a little info before calling. Thanks.

6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ah. So next time I'll answer using made up gibberish. :D

7. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    It’s easy for phone scammers & shady telemarketers to falsify the caller ID field so it looks like the call is local. I get these all the time lately. If I don’t recognize the caller ID, I don’t answer. If it’s a real call, they’ll leave a voicemail. Most of the time they don’t though.

Maybe someone is using your phone number for caller ID when they make their scam calls.

Lobster11, slobake and two fingers like this.
  8. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    You don't even have to make it up, unless you want to. Here's some lovingly curated gibberish (and many a potential band name) in one compact package.

Jabberwocky
    Lewis Carroll, 1832 - 1898
    ‘Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand;
    Long time the manxome foe he sought—
    So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
    And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
    The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
    Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
    And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head
    He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
    Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
    O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
    He chortled in his joy.

‘Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

GIBrat51, slobake, Oddly and 2 others like this.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I get that now and then too. Just happened yesterday, and it was a guy selling a car. He got really indignant with me too.

-Mike

two fingers likes this.
  10. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I was thinking about the preamble to The Canterbury Tales. I graduated high school in 1989 and somehow I still have a chunk of it memorized. :D

If I do it with an indignant tone and a horrible Scottish accent it should get the job done. :roflmao:

Oddly, Pilgrim, ptg and 2 others like this.
  11. Well...if the majority of them are as confused as you are, then it's got be a scam or a hacker having fun or something like that..

two fingers likes this.
  12. OK ... when you get a missed call from a number you don't recognize, do you call it? I don't.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    No sir.
    If they didn't leave a voice message, I block the number.

-Mike

14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have, but not always.

15. Hey, it's not as bad as when a gal you're intimate with calls you & you don't answer. Then later you call back to get her boyfriend or husband on the line.

16. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I still have a Los Angeles area code though I left there 10+ years ago.

Every couple of weeks I get a call from the 323 area code but never answer, and they don't leave a message. The only time I ever answered it, a lady was speaking Spanish and obviously had the wrong number.

Just yesterday one came in with a (323)666-××××, and I thought who the devil is this?!? :wideyed::nailbiting::smug: People calling me when I'm trying to use my phone for TB is just rude!

To be fair, those are the exact same 6 digits as my current number ... & it was my second randomly assigned 666 number when I lived down there. Apparently there is a few blocks in the lower Silverlake/east Hollywood area that they generate the triple6s to. Dunno what that says about the neighborhood (or me :p), but my number also has a 69 in the last four ... was just too cool to ditch when i moved :cool:

I always just assume it's a wrong number, telemarketer, or some bill collector that I have nothing to say to :whistle::bag::rolleyes:

Aberdumbie and two fingers like this.
  17. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Funny.... I just saw this thread. Exact same thing happened to my wife thirty minutes ago. I took the phone from her and was.... Well let’s just say “forceful”.... But the very same thing you said. Insisting she called to the point of getting loud with her. I doubt he will do it again though.

18. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Yeah, this is a scam, it was on the local news in my area a while back.
    Anytime I get a call I don’t recognize I leave it to voicemail, but anytime I’ve gotten one from same area code + first 3 digits, there is never a msg.

Like someone else mentioned, scammers and/or telemarketers think you’re much more likely to answer if you think a “neighbor” is calling.

19. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

"Hello"
    "You called me"
    "Who did I call?"
    "Me"
    "When"
    "Just now"
    "I did? Are you sure it wasn't Lawrence?"
    "Who's Lawrence?"
    "You don't know Lawrence?"
    "No, I don't know Lawrence."
    "Then what are you bothering me for?"
    "BECAUSE YOU CALLED ME!"
    "I did?"
    "YES, YOU DID"
    "Hold on, Lawrence there is a call for you. ... Halo, smecruaky losbatos Lorenzo?"
    "WHAT'S THE BIG IDEA?"
    "Slobakeosky tunaasrole bigsbatten ryedea?"

20. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Change Lawrence to Yuri and say the last line with a horrible Russian accent.
    :roflmao:

murphy and slobake like this.