Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anotherbassist, Nov 13, 2003.

1. if you go to this site it has a frequency chart at the bottom and i have no clue how to read it or tell if its good sound, please help me
    http://legionsound.com/emi810.htm
    thanks

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Stay away from that site bud.....You don't want anything from them.

-Mike

3. +1

4. I agree. Very bad cabinet. 5/8" particle board? 98dB efficiency? What were they thinking? A good 810 does at least 105! That means 7dB (equals 5 times the amp power) for free!

In the end, you get what you pay for. $400 may seem cheap, but for that money, you can do A LOT better if you buy a used brand cabinet. Sure, there's a risk, just get a tech with you when you're shopping for used gear.

5. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    The chart does not look very flat. A hump like that might sound honky.
    A 98 db Efficiency does not very high for an 8x10 Cab.

A weight of 45 lbs for an 8x10 seems very low. 40 oz magnets on 8 speakers = 20 lbs for the magnets. That leaves 25 lbs for the rest of the speaker components and and the cabinet - maybe the cabinet material is cardboard covered by carpet.

The line "Paper cones for extra efficiency" means the cones will break-up or distort easily.

You usually get what you pay for.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Here is a quote from www.harmony-central.com. a review of a EMI 212 guitar cab from "legion sound"

"Sound Quality: 4
    Big Disappointment!! While the cabinet looks very attractive and the outward construction looks solid; the cabinet simply is not all that good. The 12" speakers are very inefficient and sound very weak. There is absolutely no bottom end! None! The cabinet is made with MDF 'plywood' with very limited amount of bracing. (Actually I think the cabinet may actually be glued together. (I would have to pull of the carpet to know for sure)) All I can say is that it looks nicer than it sounds. I hate to say anything bad about the good people at LegionSound or WWW.STEELSOUND.COM but this guitar cabinet really stinks! WWW.STEELSOUND.COM also carries a 'better' line of cabinets/speakers from Madison Speakers. (actually I think they may all be the same company) Lesson Learned - You get what you pay for."

7. I actually think that his grammar is actually defunct.

Hmm, say that work like 30 times and it will loose all meaning. It is actually one of those dead english words.

By the way,,,can you find the missing actually above?

8. Picker

Picker

Nov 10, 2003
    lol... nice Dee.

Actually I'm not sure that the sentence is gramatically incorrect or just bad form.

anyway....