1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What does this mean

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by AaronBrazier, Apr 26, 2004.

  1. AaronBrazier


    Apr 26, 2004
    I'm sorry because this question probally sounds stupid but i just started. When i am reading tabs i come past stuff like 3h4 and 2h4 and 2h2 what do these three things mean.

    Please REPLY
  2. AaronBrazier


    Apr 26, 2004
  3. 6-3-2


    Sep 20, 2003
    Hammer the next note, 2 hammer 4, hammer being when you just press the note to make the sound, instead of plucking it. Honestly though I doubt it would make a huge difference if you just plucked the note.
  4. Figjam


    Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It makes a difference.

    btw you cant have a 2h2.
  5. AaronBrazier


    Apr 26, 2004
    2 hammer 4
    for example
    if the tab is
    3 4 3h4
    so this means to pluck the 3 and four first then just put your finger on the 3 and 4 to give it a sound
    Note do you hit the 3 and 4 together or apart
  6. Figjam


    Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hit the 3..and then while its ringing, put yor finger on the 4. (keeping it on the 3 though, dont take it off) so you need to use 2 fingers.
  7. Finger Blister

    Finger Blister

    Jul 8, 2003
  8. Vorago

    Vorago (((o)))

    Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    That would mean you'd hammer a note that is already fretted, which is possible if you'd pull the 2 and then hammer it again...something like this 2p0h2

    Sorry if I just confused you
  9. retitled


    Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    incase he did confuse you, that means, pluck 2 let go of 2 then hit it again with out plucking it.

    isnt it cool the way u can make three independint sounds with just one pluck :p