What does this mean

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by AaronBrazier, Apr 26, 2004.

1. AaronBrazier

Apr 26, 2004
    I'm sorry because this question probally sounds stupid but i just started. When i am reading tabs i come past stuff like 3h4 and 2h4 and 2h2 what do these three things mean.

Please REPLY
  2. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Hammer the next note, 2 hammer 4, hammer being when you just press the note to make the sound, instead of plucking it. Honestly though I doubt it would make a huge difference if you just plucked the note.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It makes a difference.

btw you cant have a 2h2.
  4. AaronBrazier

Apr 26, 2004
    2 hammer 4
    for example
    if the tab is
    3 4 3h4
    so this means to pluck the 3 and four first then just put your finger on the 3 and 4 to give it a sound
    Note do you hit the 3 and 4 together or apart
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hit the 3..and then while its ringing, put yor finger on the 4. (keeping it on the 3 though, dont take it off) so you need to use 2 fingers.
  6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
  7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    That would mean you'd hammer a note that is already fretted, which is possible if you'd pull the 2 and then hammer it again...something like this 2p0h2

Sorry if I just confused you
  8. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    incase he did confuse you, that means, pluck 2 let go of 2 then hit it again with out plucking it.

isnt it cool the way u can make three independint sounds with just one pluck :p