Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what does this mean

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gulice, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Gulice

Gulice

Sep 13, 2002
    ok what does this mean to u

O, mickle is the powerful grace that lies
    In herbs, plants, stones, and their true qualities:
    For nought so vile that on the earth doth live
    But to the earth some special good doth give,
    Nor aught so good but strain'd from that fair use
    Revolts from true birth stubling on abuse:
    Virtue itself turns vice, being misapplied;
    And vice sometimes by action dignified.
    Within the infant rind of this small flower
    Poisen hath residence and medicine power:
    For this, being smelt, with that part cheers each part;
    Being tasted, slays all senses with the heart.
    two such opposed kings encamp them still
    In man as well as herbs, grace and rude will;
    and where the worser is predominant,
    Full soon the canker death eats up that plant.

2. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    i dunno... sounds like they could be Phish lyrics or something. Where did that come from?

3. Gulice

Gulice

Sep 13, 2002
    its from romeo and juliet, and i need to know what it means for my english final

4. All I know is that it's a sonnett, that's where my Shakespeare knowledge stops.

Sounds like they're talking about pot to me...

Meh, everyone ends up dead, that's all you really need to know.

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I think that's the bit where Romeo is contemplating the poison he will use to kill himself, might be wrong though...

6. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    what's the act and scene? i can look it up for you.

7. Gulice

Gulice

Sep 13, 2002
    after they got married and the friars picking herbs umm act 2 scene 3

8. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    sorry, i havent studied the play or even read it so anything i said will probably screw you up. but you could try sparknotes.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Of course...I could be way off, I have never studied Romeo and Juliet, but I have studied some shakespeare and I had an english teacher that LOVED breaking down poetry and verse....what I just analyzed could be way off, but take from it what you think will get you an A. ;)

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think you have to take it in context and how it realtes to that - you can't just take parts in isolation and expect them to mean as much.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Most poetry and verse I've analyzed breaks down like this. The best poets usually say something significant in every line or ever couplet(or even every word), those significant details are used to further get-through whatever it is the poet is talking about. Granted this may not be the case for shakespeare, and there are definatly poets in the world that just write verse and act all high and mighty about it, but for the most part the best poets always are very careful about their diction, their phrasing, and...well...everything. the Best poetry can be read in any way and something can be taken from it.

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Surely diction is to do with the way it is read out loud, not the way it is written...

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well that may apply to a typical poem; but to take half of a line, by a minor character (Friar Laurence) from a very long play like Romeo & Juliet and expect it to make total sense out of context is what I would call "naive optimism" - but there's a lot of it about!! ;)

Or maybe just simple laziness and another symptom of the "instant gratification/I NEED TABZ NOW" generation? :D

14. Out of evil can come some good and out of good can come evil.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Diction VERY much applies to written word.
    How could you say that it doesn't? Diction = choice of words.

I hate all people with opinions.

I dislike all people with opinions.

Though the general idea behind those two examples is the same. Hate is a VERY strong word, and if I chose to use it then that must mean that I really have a strong animosity towards people with opinions and anyone who has one regardless of what it is, I will hate.

Choosing to write Hate rather than "dislike" or a similiar word, will translate a different meaning for the sentence, one word can change the whole meaning of a sentence.

Its like If I insult someone online but then end it with a :D emoticon then that person knows I'm joking, but if I end it in a :mad: emoticon then the person will know I'm actually pissed with them.

I don't know where you got the idea that diction applies more to spoken word...surely it CAN, but in the simplest sense of the word, Diction is "word-choice" and that can apply to spoken or written word.

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    As I said earlier, one of the things that seperates the true masters of poetry and verse from the posers, is in their ability to make even the most seemingly insignificant line, phrase, character, word, punctuation...etc. Be invaluable for dechiphering what the poet is trying to say.

and no, I'm not 15 :p :D

17. It's about a couple of things,

One it's about taking poison.

It's also about taking poison as a symbol of the conflict between the two families.

18. In regard to Wrong Robot's breakdown, i think that he pretty much nailed it, and if he was wrong about that last part...

two such opposed kings encamp them still

this may mean that both the good and the bad are still in the flower or whatever

In man as well as herbs, grace and rude will;

it is comparing man to the poisonous flower he has been talking about, man can also be both good and bad

and where the worser is predominant,
    Full soon the canker death eats up that plant.

i'm not so sure about these lines, but it may mean that when the bad is more powerful than the good, then the plant (or man...as above) will become consumed in evil and eventually just wither away

anyways, i'm just 13, but i've been known to be pretty smart...

19. and for speaking, that would be my little friend INFLECTION :p

no, really, that would be inflection...

20. Does the teacher want to know what it means, or what it means to you.