Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    what does this symbol mean? i know the band P.O.D. uses it, but does it actually have a meaning?

[​IMG]

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Isn't that one of escher's things?

the metatriangle or something

this...

looks like an interpretation of this..
    [​IMG]

3. ooh boy! i love escher's work! yeah, i believe ive seen it drawn 3d like that before too, no clue as to the meaning though clay.

4. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I too am a big Escher fan.

Basically I think it means continuous, infinite, no beginning and no end, goes on forever.

5. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Actually Led Zeppelin used it far before POD.
    I think it's an ancient witchcraft type symbol.

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Escher art rules!

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Found this cached on Google from a website which is either down or defunct.

John Paul Jones
    From the Led Zeppelin InFrequently Murmered Trivia List:
    Jonesy's symbol from the fourth album was taken from a book of runes and symbolises a person with confidence and competence. It shares the common characterisitc with Bonham's symbol of having trisected ovals, termed "yonics", which are in opposite aspects on the two symbols, indicating that the two symbols reflect two very different people.

EDIT: Just found this on the web.

John Paul Jones' symbol (circle over three interlocking ovals) was found in a book of runes and purportedly represents a person who is both confident and competent. It also mysteriously appears on the cover of a book about the Rosicrucians.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The POD symbol is reminiscent of the 2nd rune, but it is different.

[​IMG]

9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

It is quite funny that witchcraft was mentioned in relation to that drawing....

The design is actually called a "triquetra" and it represents the interconnectedness of the Trinity: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. As seen by the design, one cannot fully exist without the other. The three interwoven arcs show that they are three distinct persons that are indivisibly one God.

May not make a lot of sense to some, but that's what it is:D

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    In Wicca and many other Pagan paths, it's a Celtic symbol commonly called a "triskel" (many spelling variations), and usually represents the three forms of the Goddess: the Maiden, the Mother and the Crone.

11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

The symbol that clay posted is a triquetra, not a triskel. The symbol that WR posted could be a triskel. Lemme do a yahoo search.

EDIT: Well, it appears that there is a quite a debate about the actual origin of the triquetra. Heavy, you were correct in saying that the pagans adopted that symbol, and everything you said was correct except for the name-it is indeed called a triquetra even by Pagans. The triskel (seen below) does look similar, but has a very different meaning than either definition of the triquetra.

[​IMG]

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yeah, I just did the same - my memory isn't that good anymore. There's two different symbols commonly called a "triskel" - we're lowbrow, and usually call it a "triknot". The other is a triple spiral.

Triquetra is the Latin. I was writing my post when you posted yours.

A good example of how the same symbol can cross cultures and religions...

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    We keep double-posting :p

It is indeed funny how the same symbols can cross religions and beliefs. Pagans say that Christians stole the triquetra from them (just like they stole many other pagan symbols, holidays, rituals, etc :meh: ), and Christians say that Pagans stole it from them. It's really quite a petty battle, IMHO.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im actually thinking of getting the JPJ/Zeppelin rune tatooed on me at one point as a symbol of my growth as a bassist and musician.

Makes sense seeing that LZ and JPJ were huge (an understatement) in my development as a musician.

I have a series of small solid black tatoos planned out to mark important stages of my life. They will all go on the back of my upper right arm.

Im just waiting it out to make sure I like the idea enough to make it permanent.

Peace
    Nick

PS: I know no one cares.

15. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I agree! Who said one has to be at the exclusion of the other? I try to get along with everyone!

16. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Me too. Whats the purpose of causing a big stink over a little drawing (or anything else-it's all temporary!)? It's what's inside that matters, not what you display to the world.

17. i read the first 4-5 posts and realized that alot of people really dont know! the band P.O.D. used to be a hardcore christian punk/metal band back in the day, the symbol is actually the trinity symbol and represents the three parts of god, the father, son, and the holy spirit, all are the same thing, but they are only parts of god, they all have the same significance and all are interdependant, that is the whole reason for the trinity symbol. thats why marcos left the band, or wuv or whoever left, because the band isnt sticking to their roots, look at the albums snuff the punk or brown, even FEOS was all about god, their new album stunk.