Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does Tweaking the Tweeter do??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Mar 4, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

i know it sounds like a noob question, but that's cause it is!

i've been running my tweeter knob flat, but have always wondered what it does. how does it add to my overall tone? does it help with projection into the audience??? I've been so obsessed with tweakin' my tone from the frontend, that i've never taken the chance to peek in the back.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    A tweeter will add glassy sounding highs to your sound. As part of a crossover, it reproduces the sound usually above 5khz. It gives you that snap sound when you slap. It adds a lot of definition to your sound, especially when you are playing through a 15". The knob on the back of your cab or combo will increase or decrease the amount of highs coming out of your tweeter.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Thx,

but one more question. do i lose any bottom end if i dial in lots of the highs from the tweeter??

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The tweeter itself normally does not affect the lows. You can however get into overkill with a tweeter and overshadow the rest of your cabs speakers.

A simple way to set your tweeter is to set it to it's minimum setting, bring up your volume to your desired level and then dial in the highs you deem appropriate.