Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does your local music shop charge for strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Feb 12, 2004.

1. 50% off and/or 2 for 1

10 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. Less than 50% off

15 vote(s)
    28.3%
  3. More than 50% off

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Full retail price. Ouch!

16 vote(s)
    30.2%
  5. Free batch of carrots with purchase of 12 or more sets.

8 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Curious to what guys out there are getting hit for on their strings. I am thinking that most stores are charging either 2 for 1, or 50% off. Is string price a big issue on how you view the store overall? If if feel I got charged too much for strings, usually I dont' complain, but I usually never shop there again; I just think having resonably prices strings is a common courtesy. What do you guys think?

2. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Usually the same price as musicians friend and junk on bass strings. Guitar strings are 2 for 1.

3. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    too much

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The local GC always takes good care of me. Most local shops sell 2-for-1/half-price around here, but I can often do better at GC. I just ask them what's the lowest they can go.

If you don't mind buying several sets at a time, you can find some real deals on the internet (buying several sets dilutes the shipping cost per set).

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The same multiple sets purchase technique will work at GC too.

I was almost always willing to discount further it meant my customer would buy more strings. In most cases, I'd make more money that way.

Peace
    Nick

6. way too much. its a lean 50 clams for daddario half rounds. they had some DR high beams on sale for 53 once. i'm so glad i love the sound of old dead strings! :p :rolleyes:

7. The list price for a set of Hi-Beams (5 str.) is nearly 90$ in some shops. A bargain would be 70$. It's not unthinkable that I've spend the same amount of money on strings as on basses in the 15+ years I've been bassin' around :eek: I use the alcohol and boiling tricks. A lot.

...oh, I live in Denmark.

Yep, I tend to like shops with lower prices better :smug:

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, here everythig is:
    Full retail price + profitrate :mad: some shops are unbelievable ba$taĐs here!

The best part is not with strings, though. There is a shop that has a monopolium of distributing EBMM. Their prices are insane! For example:
    - MM Sterling = 570 000 + case (which you must buy) for 60 000 -> thats about $2850!!!
    - MM Stingray starts at 720 000 + case -> $3550!!!

good thing that I like Warwicks: my Corvette 6 that I had to order bc im lefty, was $1550... of course that was another shop... so you can figure out what is my opinion about the first shop
    :spit:

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    full retail

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    A lot. I've used Ernie bass slinkies ($35), Ernie group III flats ($50), Rotosound L66's ($36), D'addario XLs($35), and TI Jazz Rounds ($56). As of now, I've settled on the TI's for my fretted. They've got the best feel/sound/longevity for the price. I'm splitting with the mum on a fretless and I've got TI Jazz Flats on order for it.

11. Ouch! I'm with you about old dead strings (haven't changed mine in at least a year :cool: ), but I think I got my last set of Half-rounds for $25-30... I like my local shop...

Edit: just noticed you're in Canada, so if you were talking about 50$CDN the difference isn't as bad as I thought...

12. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    40 bucks for a set of rotosounds

13. $38.99 for a set of Dean Markley Blue Steels.
    VERY EXPENSIVE!

14. My local store charges a little over full retail price. Of course, since I live in Kodiak, and our "music store" is a little corner of the furniture store in town, I guess it's to be expected. I buy all my strings online from juststrings.com. Great prices there!

15. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    Here, among polar bears (as some seem to think) the cheapest strings, washburn's roundwound something cost 30-35€, which is not far from that price in dollars... Buy little "better" strings and its above 40€...
    Most expensive ones are 65€

Life's unfair.. :bawl:

16. Well Shops around me Charge different..and also it depends if ya know the guys there or not..I used to use Rotos and knew the guy at the shop and he used to give me a good deal around 14 bux but when he left they charged 40 :meh: So i went to Super Slinks and I get them for about 18 bux which is about normal round here.

17. MY local Sam Ash sells strings for 50% or more off MSRP.
    EB Slinkys cost about $20 (that's for a 5-string set) and my Rotosound Swing Bass 665LCs cost me $23.99. I guess since I live in Los Angeles, there's a lotta guitar players round here, not to mention the store is on Guitar Row on Sunset Blvd, so there's a lot of competitors down the block.

I imagine other cities with a large per capita of guitarists (Nashville, Austin, Chicago, etc) can find their strings for cheap in local stores as well.

18. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    There are two music shops in town. I try to support my local businesses instead of going online. One store was selling the EB Slinkies I was looking for for $17.50, and another $2.00 for a second set. The second store's price was $47.50 for one set. No second set discount. Guess where I shop?

19. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    You guys are lucky, we only have 1 real music shop. All they carry is Ernie Ball stuff and I just don't like those strings. I get most of mine from the Vintage Bass Trading Co.

20. I buy my strings from Carvin. I've been told they are D'addarios and they sell a 5 string set (nickel or steel) for $13.00 sometimes on sale for $12.00. Best deal I've found less an endorsement. Pretty hard deal to beat unless you just hate their strings. I'm hard on strings and have to change them after about 15 to 20 hours of playing time (my sweat just kills them) so it can be very expensive.