1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What 'double cab' configurations works best?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KillerB, Nov 16, 2006.

1. KillerB

KillerB

Nov 16, 2006
    Netherlands
    Do you have any experience with Epifani cabinets?

What is the difference in sound en what will be the best cabinet setup for pop and rock.

1. Epifani 410UL and 115UL or
    2. Epifani 410UL and 210UL or
    3. Epifani 212UL and 210UL
    (using a Epifani 502UL amp)

Thanks in advance,

2. IMO.... one of the larger cabs alone in 4ohm version would be the superior matchup for the 502. I don't really see how the smaller, less efficient 210's or 115 would 'help' the large, efficient 212UL or 410UL that much, and both the 212UL and 410UL in 4ohm version can easily handle the 600 watts of the 502 IMO.

I also believe that the 502 is only safe down to 4ohms... so you would have to get 8ohm versions of the 'double cab' configurations. That would mean that you would be putting the same wattage into the large and small cabs... that never made much sense to me.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    UL410 and UL115 would be the best from what you mentioned, but I agree with KJung. The UL410 is more than enough cab for anybody.

4. KillerB

KillerB

Nov 16, 2006
    Netherlands
    Two cabinets of 8 Ohm will do the job (will be 4 Ohm to Amp). The reason for me to use 2 cabs makes it possible to use f.e. the 210UL in rehearsal and a 410UL or 212UL for smaller gigs. Because of having 8 Ohm cab. there will be no max. power from the amp. For bigger gigs I can use them both to have max. Amp power and maby even more body in sound. But if I´m wrong, maybe its better to have 2 x 210UL cabinets in stead of 1 x 410UL? The main reason for asking is to impove easy transport but having top sound as well.

Thanks,

5. Your logic makes sense... however, I use a different execution... with a 4ohm 410UL and an 8ohm 210 (previously a 210UL, now a BergHT210s... but still always on the lookout for that great sounding small cab). I never use them together, never needed any more volume than the single 410UL for even my loudest, largest gig. However, more speakers usually trumps more watts going into a single cab... so nothing really wrong with what you are trying to do.

6. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    I really love 410UL and 115UL combo! I love it's sound.

In my opinion you couldn't get the same sound just through 410UL, right?
    But I don't know about 212UL... You think you could get closer to 410UL+115UL sound with 212UL alone?

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1 !

However, with a larger 2 channel head, you could in theory run a large and small cab by balancing the gain attenuation. That still leaves you with two cabs that probably would have different EQs signatures, creating a challege for getting the sound you want...doable, but harder. I have faced the same issues with a Goliath II and a Son of Bertha.

I now have a CA6 which can drive both quite well, but find I usually don't need all that speaker acreage and weight.

Still, it is a good idea to have 2 cabs: one can go with you for smaller gigs, and both for larger. If one dies, you can still make bass. :D :D :D

8. +1... there's always the 902c if they ever release it..... 900 watts per side at 4ohms... underf 20 pounds!

9. KillerB

KillerB

Nov 16, 2006
    Netherlands
    Guys,

Thanks for all comments.
    I understand now that using two dif. cabs is a problem with using a one channel amp as 502UL.

I have to change my gear. The amp is over 50Lbs and large, but sounds realy great.

- Alembic F-1X an SF-2
    - Crown K1 (easy to change volume for both cabs)
    - Glockenklang Take 5 (4x10)
    - Custom built Glockenklang 1 x 15" (As Take 5)

I checked the 502UL and was supprised about sound and low Lbs. But I don´t want to have less powerfull sound and punch.

The only alternative is to use two same cabs???

For more flexible use and easy transport it is better to have 2 210UL´s instead of 1x 410UL?
    Is there difference in sound if one horn is set off?

Any alternative ideas?

Thanks again

10. Cool rig! I've always been intriqued by the Alembic Superfilter, but have never had the opportunity to hear one.

I'm very impressed with the one Glock cab (112 with tweet) that I've played.... I bet that rig sounds killer.

It's not that two very different cabs won't work with a mono head.... it surely won't do any harm to the head or the cabs as long as (assuming a 502) both cabs are 8 ohms. It's just not optimal, since the cabs have different power ratings, SPL, tone, etc.... they might balance wonderfully... they might not. And... the requirement that both be 8 ohms kind of puts the 410UL at a little bit of a disadvantage when using it alone, since you wouldn't be putting much power into to with the 502 running at 8ohms. Still... it's not that big of an issue if that's the way you want to go!

If you really like the 410/115 combination, and don't mind spending some cash, FYI the 410UL (4ohm) and 115UL (8ohm) with the 902c... which is the same pre as the 502 but with a powerful stereo amp with switching power supply (so it's actually lighter than the 502) might be just killer....

For you largest gigs, you could use both cabs, and adjust the volume between the cabs (I assume the 'stereo 920c has some sort of balance control). For medium gigs, you could use half of the 902 into the 4ohm 410UL... 900 watts, and for smaller gigs, half of the 902 into the 9ohm 115UL (500 watts or so). Assuming the 902c has a balance control, that would be a killer lightweight, modular rig.

If you didn't want to go that crazy, two 8 ohm 210UL's would also sound great... plenty of bottom, and turning one of the tweeters off or down works GREAT with the Epi's, since the speakers still run full range with the tweeter all the way off (a Very nice design feature of those cabs). The 210UL is extremely lightweight, and two of them with the 502 putting 600 watts into them would be awesome!

Hope that makes sense... I'm sure you will get other opinions also.

K

11. KillerB

KillerB

Nov 16, 2006
    Netherlands
    Tanks again KJung,

I did´t see the 902 in the Netherlands sofar. On the Epifani site, specs say nothing abbout balance control.

12. You know, it wouldn't surprise me if the 902 didn't have a balance control. That is a very strangely spec'd piece of gear to me..... massive power, two channels, but non-bridgeable, etc.... strange.

OK... one final idea. If you like your Alembic pre's and filter... you could go with the lightweight Epi cabs, and replace your crown with a lightweight stereo power amp like the Stewart2.1 (or whatever that large one is called).

Good luck on your search.

K

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    the 2x10 + 1x15 is my personal fav. nice mix of punch and thickness. and if you're doing a lower volume gig, take one or the other!

i feel like the 4x10 sorta overshadows the not so punchy and thick 1x15.

another great setup is a ul310 +ul115. just sounds louder to my ears, yet still balanced btwn the two.

and FYI, the 902 does not have a balance control.

14. Hey there Jae.... no balance control on a 'stereo' amp, and not bridgeable. Hmmmm....... well...... OK...... :rollno:

Edit: I guess it's a moot point if you use identical cabs, and I guess that's what they were thinking. That would be a monster with two 4ohm 410UL's or 610UL's for a 'concert' type touring rig.

15. get 2 8 ohm UL410s and call it a day...

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    yea,

need to talk to nick about that. hmm...

17. KillerB

KillerB

Nov 16, 2006
    Netherlands
    I´ll think I have made up my mind about the flexible light weight config.
    ================
    1 x 212UL Epi 4 Ohm
    1 x 210UL Epi 8 Ohm
    - Epifani Quest II preamp
    - Powersoft amp (Italy) Digam D2004
    (No problem with impedance and volume balance)

2 x 1000 W / 4 OHM 1x 2000 W / 8 OHM 2 channels light-weight digital power audio amplifiers Worldwide Power Supply Operating Range Power Factor Correction Extra light Weigth one Unit Size. Only 18Lbs and 1 HE

http://pro-audio.powersoft.it/product_list.php?id_menu=271&obj=62
    ================
    Anyone some experience with this?

18. KillerB

KillerB

Nov 16, 2006
    Netherlands
    Update: Set works well but replaced the powersoft for a Lab Gruppen fp3400. This is A real killer combi ;)

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Thanks for the update 3 years later ;)

20. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    The Powersoft amp looks really nice (only 1U!). For how much did you get it and why did you change it?