Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What doya think

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sonic, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

I play a lot of stuff in Drop-c tuning. I was just wondering what everyone thinks would be a good bass for me. And don't say 5-string, I prefer the de-tuned 4.

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Something that is a longer scale 35-36 inch. Maybe a graphite necked bass like a Modulus.

I would say get a 5 string and tune the b string half a step up to c.

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Odie is right. When you play with special tunings and require heavy gauges, graphite is the solution.

I believe a Status Stealth 2 would be indestructible.

http://www.status-graphite.com

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, a solution slightly cheaper than Status or Modulus is Moses Graphite, who make necks for Fenders, Stingrays, and for custom applications (if you had a body built). They run about 250+, but are very nice necks.

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    - 5-string. ;)

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    A graphite-necked bass (Modulus, Status, etc.) with a BEAD string set; you'll have to have a nut cut to fit the larger strings. Brendan has one like that, I believe.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Half right. I have no graphite neck, but I do have a bass strung BEAD. If you're already in C, you probably won't miss the G, I know I don't, and you'll much better tension.

In fact, when tuned CFBE (EADG down two full steps) the tension on a BEAD is just slightly above regular tension. In fact, it's less than a quarter of a turn on the tuning key to switch to BEAD standard. So in essence on BEAD, you'll actually tune up to CFBE.

Though recently I've tuned back down to BEAD and BEADG. I used to use CFBE on my 4 (Which again was up from GCGC) and ADGCF on my 5er.