Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what DR strings are better for freltess-NICKEL LO-RIDERS or SUNBEAMS?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Apr 12, 2004.

1. i would like to know what DR's would be better for my fretless, i do not want flats!, does anybody have any experience with the sunbeams or the nickel lo riders, can any body tell my which is better for flatwound i am thinking the sunbeams, but hey what do i know.

2. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

I have tried lots of different strings on my fretless Jazz. As far as DR, I first tried Highbeams but they did not have as much of the fretless quality I wanted (the slides didn't come through real well). I next tried Sunbeams and love them. They are the strings for me on fretless. Of course, others likely have other preferences, but I am done searching for my ideal strings for the freltess. I do like the Highbeams on my Victor Bailey Jazz Bass, however.

John

3. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    IMO the Sunbeams.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    IIRC, aren't Lo Riders (steel) the strings to buy if you want to turn your frets into shards of metal and your fretboard into sawdust? I mean, sure, you're looking at nickels, but wouldn't they still be really, really rough?

5. He's talking about nickle lo-riders. They make them.

6. frodebass

frodebass

Apr 11, 2004
    Norway
    According to DR, the sunbeams were meant as a string perfect for fretless basses.
    Haven't had them in a few years, but I remember them as very nice on my fretless basses.
    Now I just play the Hi beams, and they also work fine. I don't really play that much fretless anymore anyway. Should get back to doing that though...

7. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I tried both and they both sound great but the Sun Beams were nicer on the fingerboard.

8. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I put nickel sunbeams on my fretless

and steel low-riders on my fretted.

9. I prefer the sunbeams on my FRETTED basses. I do not like the SS feel of Hi-beams - I'm a nickel guy & luv the tone I get w/my sunbeams. I will try the nickel lo-riders next & see if I like the hex core/higher tension better.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yeah...I know. But wouldn't the construction be the same, only with a different material? Yeah, SS is obviously gonna chew wood up to hell, but when the string is THE worst for it...and you change the metal to nickel...you're still gonna get a damn rough string, right?

11. Nickel (sunbeams/lo-rider nickel) is a softer material than stainless steel (hi-beams/lo-rider ss) and not as bright sounding. Nickel has a smoother feel & is a bit easier on frets/fingerboards than SS.

Sunbeams and hi-beams are round core (flexible) & lo-riders are hex core (stiffer).