Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what Dremel tip do I need clean the grime off my fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rx jr., Jul 19, 2004.

1. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    since I don't have steel wool, what bit can I use to get rid of the grime on my rosewood fingerboard? the polishing bit or the brush bit? please no suggestions like the router bit or drill bit or little bit.

thanks

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I wouldn't use anything in a dremel, thats asking for it, fingerboards are VERY easy to damage that way!
    Use an old razor blade to scrape the gunk off (gently!).

3. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    i just used the brush tip beofre I got any reply. it's like toothbrush. it got all the gunk off... the it got hot that the grime MELTED and going on all of my frets and the whole fretboard. now I need something like denatured alcohol and a rag. A LESSON LEARNED.

4. there's no substitute for doing it right. even on o'ahu, superfine steel wool (0000) should be easy enough to find. its' not that hard to rub a fretboard and then dress it with the oil of your choice.

but i guess you already figured that out. good luck rectifying the situation.

robb.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  6. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    Trere's no better use for a VISA or Master Card than using it as a scraper to clean a fretboard...

7. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    eh too bad i'm in korea right now. but it's ok now.

8. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    I find the brush bit works very well to clean the crud from the frets. Also, I run the larger brush over the entire fingerboard. Then, I use the foam tips and "Mother's Aluminum Polish" to shine the frets. Careful, this wipes black crud all over the place. Then, fine steel wool removes the blackened polish. Then finish the fingerboard with your favorite oil.

9. There is a good steel wool substitute called Scotch-brite. They sell it in supermarkets for cleaning your house, hardware stores for a million uses, this stuff is everywhere. It comes in different grades of coarseness, although you may need to hit the hardware store to get a selection of grades. Try the coarser grade (dark green or gray), gently rubbing lengthwise up and down the whole board, for starters. Follow with a finer grade (white) to shine up both the board and the frets, then oil up the board to seal it. The big advantage of this stuff over steel wool is it doesn't shred apart, covering your pickups and finish with brutally abrasive steel wool dust. It won't necessarily do a better job than the dremel, but it is a lot quicker and perfectly adequate for most jobs. You might follow up with the dremel just to get the edges of the board immediately adjacent to the frets. Then you just have to run the dremel along each side of each fret, instead of doing the whole board with it. And that credit card trick really works, especially on heavy deposits of crud that have been cemented in place with beer. Borrow one if your friend's cards so you don't mess up your own, then use it to buy yourself something nice as a reward for cleaning up your bass. While you are at it, use your friend's credit card to buy her/him a present for being so generous. It's the least you can do.