What Dress Shoes for $250-$300?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Feb 16, 2006.

1. I have been wearing the Birkenstock/Footprints Kensington model every day for 3 years, and need some new ones. I love these. They are getting hard to find as Birk is splitting up the Footprints and other sub-companies. Also being a 13 (46 in birk) makes it hard to find sometimes.

Give me some (road tested) suggestions for some dress shoes in this price range. They must be brown leather.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The "New York" oxford from ECCO is a fine shoe. You should also have a look at some Steve Maddens, you can even find them for under your price range. I own a couple pairs of Allen-Edmunds, and they are very comfie. My favorites are the "Hillcrest" model. If you really want to impress someone, go for some Salvatore Ferragamo's. SUH-WEET kicks.

3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    How about some Bruno Magli's (sp?) :bag:
  4. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Allen Edmond makes great dress shoes. I don't know if they have a store near you, but I've been to their shop on Newbury Street here in Boston, and it is quite impressive. Great shoes.

5. I usually get my shoes from

They sometimes have great deals on good shoes...but you have to be willing to oder online.
  6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Zappos.com has tons of shoes...plus they give you multiple angles to view every shoe.
  7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I got mine from Dexter. I happened to be up in Maine, they
    had outlet stores all over the place.

I got about 4 pairs of really nice leather shoes for about
    300 total. 2 pairs of black loafers, 1 pair black dress wingtips
    and 1 pair brown wing tips. The quality was excellent.

The also have a website, but the best deals are in the outlets.

The Dexter Apollo, for example, is made up to size 13 and
    web retails for 104.99 in Brown.
  8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I have owned several pairs of high end (150+) dress/casual shoes including Bruno Magli, Timberland, Rockport, Johnson & Johnson, Kenneth Cole, and Allan Edmunds but I have never owned any shoes that provide the combination of comfort, quality and workmanship that Cole Hahn provide. IMHO
  9. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    +1 Allen-Edmunds

Heard good about Kenneth Cole also.

Rockports can last years too.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like Cole-Haan, but Ferragamos are nice, if your feet fit an Italian last.
  11. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Highest I've gone was a pair of Kenneth Coles. Not the range you're looking for, but very nice. Check these guys:

12. Great reccommendations. I don't think the whole square-toe, Italian shoe thing will work for me. I'm 6'5" 315lb former football player. I like the Birk because your foot can spread out. Some of the Allen Edmonds looked really nice. I might have to check that out.
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, so am I. The AE's are great for big guys, very comfie. My Rockports are nice as well. I love the Italian leather shoes, but I can't wear them very long.

14. Here are the Birk Kensington's to give you an idea what I am looking for. They are pretty simple. Some of the shoes you guys are mentioning are way too "hip" for me. I'm a 30 year old middle school assistant principal. Hip deserted me long ago.

15. I had a pair of rockports that were very comfortable also. I may have to look at some of those. I just found some Kensington's for $220 though, so I may just stick with the same thing.
  16. I just decided on these:

Ecco New City Plain Toe. I tried on some Ecco's and they were very nice. I have to give a big plug to zappos.com. They were great! They do a 110% price guarantee. I found the shoes cheaper on another web site (it actually looked a little shady), and I called them and told them. They matched the price, then took 10% off of that. She then told me that they ship out of Kentucky (I'm in Cincinnati), and that the shoes will be here tomorrow. Great service!!!
  17. You're looking for shoes and you're from Oxford?

I was going to add another Allen Edmonds reccomendation. I've got a pair of leather sole wingtips that I've had for a long time, classy and relatively comfortable- for a leather soled shoe. I also have a pair of ankle high boots that I really love. Softest leather I've ever had on a pair of shoes. The A/E factory is a few miles from here and they have a big sale and outrageously discount stuff.
  18. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Whatever's in stock at Payless or KMart. :)
  19. What does that mean?
  20. Main Entry: ox·ford
    Pronunciation: 'äks-f&rd
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Oxford, England
    1 : a low shoe laced or tied over the instep