Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What drives where you rehearse?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by TxBass, Dec 1, 2002.

1. it's the only place we have

25 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. we can leave it set-up

28 vote(s)
    50.9%
  3. rehearse? who needs to rehearse?

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Hey,
    just curious what determines your practice place. I'm currently in a situation where we have two locations to rehearse, but one seems like the obvious choice because the drummer can leave his stuff set up there all the time. The other place is closer to where most of us live...thus the "issue" between some band members. It's not a crisis right now, but we're starting to grumble about it a little. I think the drummer has the biggest "pain" in the set-up department...but that's just my opinion.

thoughts? Thanks!

2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Where we rehearse is set by the how much it cost to keep it heated all winter. And also we can leave stuff set up.

3. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    As long as you can get there in 30 minutes or so it is worth it...Recently went to an audition 50 miles away. It went great but the distance was too much for me to work with them.

What is the problem? Rent? Distance? Cats? Security? You have to ask before it gets out of hand.

4. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    read the post again...what's wrong with carpooling?

5. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    there's no transportation problem...our situation is kinda dictated by what can be left set-up in one place, can't in another--and the one where we can't leave it set-up is closer for most of us.

I personally would rather drive an extra 15 minutes to a place I don't have to completely tear down every week after rehearsal.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I drive to where we rehearse in my car!! Nothing drives where we rehearse - there isn't room and I couldn't get a car up the steps!! ;)

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    We practice in my basement - I have everything setup there, including a complete drum kit, a PA, 2 Marshall tube amps, guitars, etc, and I also live close to the other guys.

Previously, we practiced in a studio owned by our former drummer who also had everything setup in there.

So basically, we practice where we don't have to setup and teardown every time.

8. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I knew that was coming eventually...:D

9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    On a good day - the rhythm section! :cool:

10. It is awfully convenient to just walk in and start playing, so that would be my vote. I drive about 50 miles to our practice, the drive sucks I gotta agree...but setting up and tearing down gets awfully old too.:)

11. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    With my previous band, we left everything set up in our basement. I lived with the two guitarists already and our drummer lived across the street. Living so close together was nice because we could usually get an hour or two of practice in every night.

12. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    All band members in my two bands live in another small town - where our rehearsal place is as well - so I drive about 25 miles (one way), at least twice a week. That's 100 miles a week, but it's worth it of course, even though it's a pain during the winter time.

13. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    yeah, but you're driving a Volvo right?? I've seen those commercials, they can go wherever---through any type of weather!:D

14. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    maybe you should change the thread title to "what dictates where you rehearse. just a thought

15. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Hehe. I guess that would be the Swedish thing to do, but my winter transport is this little shoe-box:

[​IMG]

:)

I have removed the rear seats and put in a plywood floor, and believe it or not I can cram in my entire PA:

- Two Mackie subs
    - Two EV300 speakers
    - a 9hu efx/mixer rack case
    - two 2hu amp cases
    - four floor wedges
    - a mic stand bag
    - a mic cable bag
    - a speaker/power cable bag
    - an attache case with mics
    - a small rucksack for nicknacks

and then it's *full*. :D

But, I'm sorry, I don't mean to hi-jack the thread. Please let's go back to the original question.

16. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    you are the "master loader"...it would definately have an effect on your practice if you couldn't transport it---so I think it applies. Besides, we don't get to see what people carry their equipment in nearly as much as pics of their guitars/amps.:cool:

-it probably won't surprise you for me to say I drive a truck--it is Texas afterall.;)

17. my band hates tearing down and setting up...we were practicing at our singer's house for a long time since he just got a studio, and then when we finished with some recording (i.e. got tired of it) we decided to move back to our drummer's place which is much closer to the rest of us. But even then it took weeks before we actually did it cuz we dreaded moving our gear so much. SUCKS. I couldn't imagine doing that EVERY PRACTICE. YEESH!!

Unless you have small amps and stuff, but it sucks for the drummer, seems pretty unfair - driving a little longer isn't nearly as bad as having to move gear every practice. You guys should suck it up for the guy, or else try to find another place that works best for everyone...which you've probably done--I'll shut up now.

18. For my church band we, obviously, practice at church. But my other band we practice at the drummer's house because he can leave his drums set up there and he wont leave them at anybody else's house(jackass). His basement is way too small though.

19. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    We used to practice in my singer's basement. It was great because it was close for all of us (except the drummer) and we could leave stuff set up. But we got kicked out by the rest of the guys that live in the house. So now we practice in the drummer's bedroom. The drive isn't so bad (winding country roads are fun), but having to carrying my rig up and down the stairs from my house to my car and then from my car to the drummer's room is just awful.

It's definitely easier if you can leave stuff set up.

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

He has his employees load the truck before the gig (company truck) and unload it the day after.

We can crank the volume, and there's no time limit.