What drives you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Hey everybody,

Well, I just finished my freshman year in college, and this is a question I've been thinking about heavily...

I started the year out as a Physics and Engineering major, but now I'm not sure that I want to do that. So I'm switching my major to Jazz Performance (with bass of course), and I'm trying to justify my actions in doing so. Since music has been such a big part of my life for the past 8 years, I figured there would be nothing else that I could possibly enjoy for the rest of my life more than playing music.

Your input/opinions/outlooks well be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.
  2. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Not that I would recommend this to anyone, but I actually gave up school for music. (Long story, but I couldn't do both at the time). I justified it by knowing that it is the only thing I'm really happy doing and isn't that what life is about? I just had to decide who I wanted to make happy, myself or my guidance counselor and my parents. And since my parents suck anyway, it wasn't such a hard decision. :D
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I dont know if its a good idea... what if you dont get good-paying gigs?

I will first finish the University of Economics, and perhaps next year or after that i will take up parallel the Academy of Music's Jazz Bass... If you have a good uni degree, its easier to get a job, and makes you feel more secure knowing you always have an emergency exit...
    Meanwhile, bass is nice as a hobby, but I'm not sure if it will provide you with a good income. Standing on one leg is not good
  4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I just finished up a BS in computer science (finally!). I would say, get a useful degree that will allow you the time you desire to progress in music, not to mention, one that allows you to quench your GAS from time to time.
  5. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I am history, poli scie, major econ philosophy minor... its fun... involved ALOT of paper writing... wendsday turned in 30 page paper... before that another 30 pages paper have 3 papers 10 pages each left for monday and i am done for summer:} but its alot fun so once you get in groove writing papers is fun... i wrote my 30 pages for wendsday over night... stayed up all night took me 6 hours:] going to find out grade monday:p

do what turns you on... litterly... i figure if it doesnt its gona suck later on even if you do make alot of money:/ maybe i am wrong... if i am wrong i will end up as a trailer park trash and switch my bass for a cowbell.... NEED MORE COWBELL

6. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    You can do whatever you want if you're not stupid. Just be dilligent, and keep to your goals and ambitions. Now, that doesn't mean be homeless and live with your mom until you're 45 either. Love you mom! :D
  7. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    beh so you are saying i will fail? cuz i am stupid... gash... thanks alot:(

btw agreed :p

I know few people who got CS degree cuz it made money and even when they had a job they were not really happy... then again i know people who love that stuff:]

8. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    When you come up with these types of existential questions, you gotta think about what money gets you.

Life throws alot of problems at you - and money fixes a lot of them. not all of them.
    I know a guy who is on his last year of his phd for archaeology. His wife just came down with a huge illness, and he now has liver problems. His kids are ready to go to college.
    He just lucked out and got a job for homeland security with a nice government health package and 50k a year.

Like good neighborhoods? You might be more concerned with them when you have kids - Living there is usually costs more.

You like security?
    People are falsely accused of crimes all the time. do a google search. Heres one for death row inmates

Dont tell me money doesnt greatly increase your chances to get off of a crime, let alone one you didnt do.

I could go on and on. But dont try to disprove this with the argument from adverse consequences or the false dichotomy (excluded middle) rhetorical fallacies.
    If you dont hate your job, its steady, and you have good pay, you can use those resources to fend off or provide for the regular unfortunate stuff that life throws at you.

I know a guy who was scraping to get by, broke his foot in half and cant work for 3 months as hes stuck in bed. How is he going to pay his mortgage now? He works by the hour.

Remember these guys singing about
    More money, More problems?

Only some rich guy can come up with crap like that.
  9. Well I'm going into science because I enjoy the sciences and I'm pretty good at them. I figure that I might as well go into it because it's something that I can see myself doing down the road, and I can go into something that's financially secure and allows me free time to play music. If someone is extremely bright, why not make the most of it and become a doctor or something, and then return to study music in your free time? Obviously, don't go into something you don't enjoy doing. If you're uncertain about physics and engineering, decide whether or not you want to spend the rest of your life doing it. Obviously music will be your favorite potential outlet, but it's not necessarily the most secure. And besides, you don't need musical education to jam with your friends and even have paying gigs.
  10. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I'm one of those people who love that stuff. I've been into computers since I played around with a Trash80 Model I at the local Radio Shack on Saturday afternoons! :D I even had a Timex/Sinclair 2000 at one point. :eek:
  11. Thanks everybody for your input, but I was hoping for a little less of my (hopeful) career and a little more of what drives you guys/gals to wake up every day and go to work? Money, happiness, family, etc.

What drives you?

What makes you tick?
  12. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    "Spending your days in a work you don't like to buy stuff that you don't need," I think that thought was in the Fight Club.

I've been spending a month now at a construction site as a summer worker, but couldn't make it my day gig, not as a construction worker. I want to be a major influence in a much larger picture, and what drives me towards that is part ambition, part appriciation of the field, and a lot that I know that all depends on my own choices and actions.

I personally am in quite a similar situation than you Bass'n'Sax. I'm 22 and studying for a BEng in Construction, which is a field I chose because I've always been interested in buildings. I thought that I can get a good job doing it, and still manage to be creative and active in my hobbies, music for example - we'll see how it goes.

I think it must be a skill, being able to figure out how to get the good income from something that you really love doing. In a modern society, a man spends so much time with his work that you really shouldn't be doing a job where you can't get a kick out of.
  13. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I majored in philosophy the first time around, and am getting around to going back for nursing. While the former hasn't rewarded me with riches, i use the things i've learned on a daily basis, and it has greatly improved the quality of my life. There's no price tag for that.

A bachelors degree in anything enhances your employability a good deal, and so kind of gave me a job, albeit one where i won't get rich. Nonetheless, i love what i do, and that's just unbeatable. I've had a million jobs, and there's no worse feeling than that soul-crushing monday morning commute to go spend eight hours in some place you hate with people you despise. Instead, i dig my 40+ hours a week.

Do what you want. Your jazz degree won't net you a high paying job, but if you're creative and industrious you can make it work.