1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What drum loops exercise grooves?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by with_joerg, Dec 21, 2017.

1. with_joerg

with_joerg

Sep 27, 2017
    I have Ed Friedland Book 'Bass Grooves'. In the book Ed recommends to get yourself a drum computer and design your own drum loops for your Bass exercises.

Given that I do not want to spend my time to get familiar with drm computers and designing drum loops, are there any of-the-shelve drum loops that I can eg import in a DAW and use right away?

I have looked at LoopLoft but also these loops seem to be delivered in parts and seem to take pretty long to setup in a DAW.

2. I also have Ed's book, first time through I did not gain much. It took the second time and probably 6 months later for it to sink in, i.e. I was not ready for it the first time. Now to your question:

BeatBuddy is a stand alone drum machine. The newer versions do a lot more than my basic model and the price has gone up accordingly. But, IMO no one needs 100 different drum loops, and points to the real problem. What is the drummer going to use?

Gave it to our drummer and ask him to identify the 5 or 6 patterns he will use. He gave it back saying that when he decides what pattern he is going to use I'll be the first to know --- just listen and watch my kick drum pedal and do the same. My first reaction was, OK sure......

Drum patterns are dictated by the time signature of the song. The 4/4 is a given, then 3/4 and 5/8 seem to do it with what we play. I spent a few days with Google on how to play drums. I did not learn how to play a kit, but I understand drum patterns better today than I did back before I started my research. Main thing I picked up is what is accented in 3/4 and 5/8, i.e. each have a unique pattern. For example 5/8 could be //-/// or ///-// got to listen for what the drummer is doing.

Right or wrong I'll not get into, but, I have decided on a basic beat of 4/4, 3/4 or 5/8 That does go with what the drummer is doing and then I let the drummer have his fills -- I ignore them and keep my basic beat going -- so when he finishes we can, and do, come back together. Seems to work... Drum track help more than click tracks, as drum tracks are what we play while out in public. It's that ole feel thing...

Do a Google on time signatures.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021