Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What ?.....Drum Mic's ???

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Gman, May 29, 2002.

1. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Only in off topic I guess.

Have any of you been involved in helping your drummers pick out drum mics ? Ours is finally going to get some, and I'd like to help her get the best for her money. Yes I said "her". Shut up. :D

Any suggestions ?

Dave

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Hi Dave - we have a female drummer too!!!! I can't remember the mics our man at the studio got for recording our drum stuff, but he did order them from www.thomann.de.

We're practising tonight, I'll see what type he got!

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    drum mics are cool, but if she's interested in adding mics to her kit, she may want to check out triggering systems as well. the drummer in one of my old bands used a combination of triggers and mics into two seperate channels...he had a seperate mixer for both the trigggers and the mics and set both of those out to the main mixer, and could pan between the two for different effects. something like that...i wasn't the resident techie in the band, but he had a pretty full rack for his stuff. i guess it was kind of like panning between piezos and mag pups on a bass. or like mixing between synth and a distorted or clean sound. same principle.

4. for the kick drum, i like the akg 200 [sheesh; i think that's the name -- it's the popular chubby one with the tell-tale green stripe over the mic]. for all other drums and cymbals, i go with your basic shure 57's/58's.

i'm not a huge gearhead, but these are the mics i've used for playing and recording, and they more than get the job done.

there are some new, much smaller mics that you can clip on to the rim of your drums, and also a much smaller bass drum mic. i believe they are made by sennheiser, are good quality and cost a pretty penny. i haven't tried them, but have heard good things about them. however, i tend to buy the argument that bigger mics work better for bass drums. also, i wouldn't always trust that they would stay clipped-on if you're playing more furiously.

whatever you do, don't skimp on quality. better to hold off on the purchase than get crap. if you're playing gigs, most places have their own pa's and mics, anyway. if you're setting up a home studio, different story. if you're playing really small venues, you probably don't even need mics.

bravo to you for choosing an x-chrome behind the kit. it really doesn't make a difference, but we sure could use some more company! and besides, we smell better when we sweat.

peace-
    miko

5. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've never heard anything more true in my life. :)

I didn't expect to hear from someone quite so qualified, Miko. Thank you.

Keep'em comin' everybody. I e-mailed her a link to the page. Say Hi to Traci:)

Dave

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    these are the 'cheap' mikes we use at the studio:
    mike list at bottom of page...

I've used just about everyone of them on drums.
    A lot of folks use a Shure 52 or AKG d112 on bass (also good for bass guitar cabs). I like the shure better.

Shure SM81's are frequently used for overheads, you've probably seen them in most videos/concerts.
    I also like PZM mikes for cymbals/ambience.

The old standards are pretty good for toms/snare:
    Shure SM 57's, etc. I like some of the EV's too.

the large diaphragm condensers are nice for ambience if you get your tone from the top down, but the kit's got to sound good to start with; nice cymbals, good tuning, no rattles, etc.

Just my experience/opinion/budget. There are PLENTY of options out there!

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Hi Traci!

I should have asked, are we talking recording or live reinforcement?

I was primarily speaking of recording, obviously.
    But any and all of these (except for the large diaphragms) work fine for live stuff.
    Heck, a couple of SM57's ought to do it, though I usually see 81's on cymbals/HH.

They're all over Ebay. Pawn shops too, sometimes.

8. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Live reinforcement.

Dave

9. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Shure SM57's for the snare and toms, AKG D112 for the kick, shure SM81's for hats and overheads all get my vote too. I do some PA work on the side and these are the best for the $$.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    This would go under RECORDING GEAR AND EQUIPMENT.

11. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    some companies are also putting together sets of mics for drums, so you don't have to go and collect them seperately... I believe shure and akg are doing this, and I am sure others will follow. Not sure either about how the costs ring up for these sets, but you might want to check them out....

P@