1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What effect am I lookin for?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gab124, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    So, I am not so much an effect guy yet, 20 years and I am starting to think about it :) So what I am looking for is this; I need a way to increase sustain and harmonics – that little touch to tone that makes long slides more alive and helps cut through the mix of rock/rockpop music. Is that an OD pedal or something else? I do not want distortion or fuzz, just liveliness - a little edge as it were. All these terms like “grit, hair etc” they are so subjective and to make it worse there are no stores in my area that even think about bass players, so hard to try things out.
    thanks all,

2. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    you may want a compression pedal or a clean boost

on second thought, you definitely want a clean boost of some kind

3. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Have you tried compression or chorus?

4. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Perhaps an OD would fit your needs. There's a ton out there. Start with the bass friendly overdrives first, like the Catalinbread SFT or the Fulltone Bassdrive. There are many guitar ODs that work well on bass, like the Barber LTD.

5. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    check this out:

6. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Wow, quick response! Have not tried a chorus - I have an EBS multicomp and use it most all the time. I also use a sansamp BDDI - but it seems to lack something that I can't put my finger on. So far OD's that I am looking at are;
    sparkle drive
    barber
    swell b drive

What will a clean boost do for me?
    thanks...

7. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    it basically boosts your signal to your amp without adding gain or distortion. It will increase sustain, create stronger harmonic overtones etc etc. I think its what you want

edit: A clean boost is also considered an overdrive pedal to most though, so dont let that title scare you, the term overdrive can be misleading sometimes

8. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Cool - are there OD's that also have clean boost so my money gets a multi-tool?
    great help here, thanks.

9. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    ya theres tons of stuff out there. Even some of your so called "ditortion" or "overdrive" pedals can be set up and run like a clean boost. An example would be the legendary Ibanez TS-808. It has 3 knobs- Gain, Tone, Volume. If you just left the gain at 0, cranked the volume, and set your tone to taste, you would be esentially running a clean boost. Its something you have to expeiment with pedals though because some boosts and overdrives can color your sound. Thats why I like the Mk.4.23, it doesnt color your sound at all and sounds amazing. The only problem with it being, you have to order direct I believe, so theres no trying it out in a store unfortunatly.

Hope this helps, Im sure others will chime in and give their $.02

10. Don't forget the BBE Boosta Grande - t hat one works well for a lot of people too.

11. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    FWIW- I ended up buying the Xotic RC bass booster and BB preamp. I like them so far, but have not been able to get them setup on my stage rig just my little tiny small practice amp. So far so good though.:p
    gab

12. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    I would have looked into the Hematoma... 5dB of boost, and overdrive to add sizzle...