1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What effect can get me this sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by aaronhutson, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Please dont hate me for posting these songs!

Nicki Minaj - Fly ft. Rihanna - YouTube
    Jennifer Lopez - On The Floor ft. Pitbull - YouTube

Sorry for that... They play a radio at work and thats what I hear.. Ha.Some of it grows on you and is creative.. Then Jaylo pops in and.. well not so much.

I know with that music most of it is synthed or written in. But what could get me that sound? Maybe a distortion that doesnt add any highs to the sound? Or a synth? Im not quite sure, but I like that synthy bassy sound.

2. I listened to the first track. Could not hear a distinct bass synth, was very much mixed in with the kick sound. So you could play with just any sound as long as you are 100% locked with a busy kick and have a short sustain.

3. Yeah I noticed it didnt sound the same on my computer as it does on the radio. I'll try to find more clips. On the first one, its only in the chorus.

Its sort of a general synth sound. Like really tight distortion among the lows. But actually its lots and lots of sustain.

4. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Source Audio Multiwave Bass Distortion Pro with the highs cut? :eyebrow:

5. Well i have the non pro. But it adds so much highs to the sound..

6. Sounds like gated fuzz to me.

7. Yes, sounds like a scooped fuzz (low and high boosted, midrange taken down.)

8. Any pedals you would recommend to get that sound? I have never really used effects until a few weeks ago. But I only play around with them at home for the most part, so im not too familiar with very many.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    line 6 bass pod use the sub dub amp model

10. I use a SA Multiwave Bass Distortion. But it has so much high in the sound that it doesnt quite get the sound.

What do you think about maybe a swollen pickle or assmaster?

But other recommendations are welcome!

11. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    On the Nicki Minaj tune, I think you could easily play that on a bass guitar and minimal equipment. Just make sure you have it EQd for reggae--a boost in the low end and not much else going on.

I think on the Lopez song you're in for some effects if you're going to truly come close to what's in the recording. Actually I wish I knew what to recommend because I'd love to get good n' synthy with my guitar. Just not sure how. I've listened to the SourceAudio envelope filter a bit, that might have something in there that would do the trick.

12. On the Nikki Minaj, there is a synthy part but its hard to hear. I played it through a sound system and heard it, but cant on my computer.

And I have the non pro BEF. It does have some good sounds. But nothing synthy? Maybe im not trying something?

13. The awolnation is a pretty good representation of what im going for. Its probably gonna be the easiest to describe. And if I can get it, im sure i can eq it to the other tones.

14. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    If it's hard to hear you can get away with disregarding it, I say.

Trouble getting synthy sounds out of the Source Audio BEF? Dude.

Part 1: Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter Demo: Up Sweep Sounds - YouTube

15. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Also, I didn't listen to the entire songs. About half. But I did listen on really good headphones.

16. Oh okay. I misunderstood. Yeah I can do that. Ha. I was thinking you meant getting the distorted sound of it for some reason. My bad!

The scooped fuzz sounds somewhere along the right track, or at least I think so..

17. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    Add an EQ to the MWBD and you should be able to get a huge swag of tones.

I haven't listened to the clips - can't see them while at work.

18. That was my first thought. But it adds so much high in there it takes so much eqing that I couldnt have a good clean sound and switch to it.

Is there a pedal that could get me there?

19. I have a a Copilot Orbit that would do the Awol Nation sound. There a quit a few gated fuzzes out there. Check the Iron Ether Oxide, Zvex Wooly Mammoth, Chunk Brown Dog, etc. There's a few threads here on gated fuzzes you could check out for more ideas. I haven't played through any of the fuzzes above but the Orbit, but any gated fuzz should get you pretty close to that sound.