1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What effect does this bass need?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by guyshocks, Aug 10, 2012.

1. guyshocks

guyshocks

Apr 5, 2011
    [SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/nicklongoria/when-you-wish/s-9GVOd[/SOUNDCLOUD]
    Here is a link to a song my band recorded 2 years ago. We are about to rerecord it for our album. In the old version, the bass was missing something. It is just dry. No effects. Nothing. It is just going through a Mark Bass halfstack (LM2). I feel like it is missing meat, but don't want to go through my B:Ass Master in it, because that would be too much. What pedals or effects would you recommend to make the bass sound beefier? Some people were suggesting a Boss OC-3. We are a three piece by the way.

2. Something a simple as a mic'd single instead of/in addition to the DI signal could add some flavor.

Otherwise, some overdrive.

3. guyshocks

guyshocks

Apr 5, 2011
    What overdrives work best with bass? Are the Boss Bass overdrive pedals "better" than the regular Boss overdrive pedals? I'm guess it just has more low end?

4. No effects. None. Not on this track. Bass, I think, should be brought up a lot though. I would've never thought so maybe a year back but bass really adds a TON to the indie/pop rock sound. Makes everything more lively and interesting.

5. guyshocks

guyshocks

Apr 5, 2011
    The mixer/engineer said that when he turned the bass up, the low part of the riff was too bassy, and when he turned it down, the high part of the riff was too soft/low sounding. The bass riff/melody goes from the 9th fret on the G string to the 2nd on the A string. He was doing the EQ stuff post, so maybe it should have been track better- I can't really remember if it was just DI. The next recording will be with an Ampeg SVT 450 head w/ 4x10" cab. (The old bass player had the Mark Bass :(... so I'm renting all the bass gear.)

6. It doesn't NEED anything, but overdrive/noise gate could be cool.
    Really dig the overall style and sound, though!

7. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    A compressor ought to even out the difference between the high and low parts.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It needs a little more definition...maybe a little more 800hz. It's all 100hz, which I do like, but there's not enough of the definition frequencies. Other than that, maybe a little light overdrive...or maybe not.

9. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I don't think it needs any effects. It sounds good to me for the first 45 seconds and then disappears after that. I'd say it needs to be EQ'd a little differently (maybe a bump at 2k or 4k) and turned up a bit.

I think overdrive would be a big mistake because it would only bury you deeper into the guitarist's sound.

You guys have a good sound and the keyboards are an unexpected touch. Be aware though that you sound a lot like the Strokes.

10. monti2889

monti2889

Jul 19, 2012
    A graphic EQ and make it frown...LOL (as in you need more mids, or less of the bass and treble)

other than that if you're wanting a "thicker" sound you could add chorus
    if you want more edge...add overdrive/distortion (I would make this very subtle though, just enough to make some fuzz...you may not need a pedal, just turn up the gain a bit)
    play through a wah and use it as a filter (ala cliff burton)
    Try playing with a pick vs fingers
    try double mic-ing your cab (one mic up front by the speaker then you could set up another a few feet away, may even try using a sound board to mic off of.) Similar to what's been mentioned with DI and Mic.

11. That bass is just fine. Maybe play a bit more legato - that kind of music needs sometimes a very consistent bass, not much dynamics.
    Cool song btw. Very nice!

12. JEBassman

JEBassman Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    You sound good on the recording. I agree that no effects are needed; I wouldn't use any pedals on this track IMO.

You could experiment with playing slightly shorter notes, leaving just a little more space in between each note. Compare that sound to the style you used on the recording. I think having more space between the notes will help the bassline pop out more.

It sounds good, though. Keep a clean signal and have fun!

13. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    A little touch of overdrive can actually add more presence to the midrange in the mix.

14. guyshocks

guyshocks

Apr 5, 2011
    Is a compressor something I should always have my bass running through? I've never used one, but have heard of people always going through one to smooth out their tone and dynamics.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nope. Some folks don't need it, some folks like it not being compressed. It can be useful, but is not the 100% necessary addition that some bassists think it is.

16. guyshocks

guyshocks

Apr 5, 2011
    Just found out about the Pork Loin. I think that is just what I need. Something super subtle.

17. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    That's a sign of a $4!**@ sound "engineer". If I don't do my job I get canned. To me, it sounds like he's not doing his job - either inexperience or lazy.

Regardless, I'm a fuzz guy so I say fuzz away! Compressors can "smooth out your dynamics" or as some people look at it, "kill your dynamics". And if you're looking at something to make super subtle changes, why even bother?

18. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    First, your tone is a little woolly, and not in the good way. It is very thick and cotton like. Get some mids and highs through your sound.

Second, a Pork Loin might do the trick, if left subtle. I am always a fan of something shocking. When the song got to the quieter part, I would go for over drive and whole notes, but that is me. It would really shock the part in place. Again, it is just me.

Otherwise, fix the tone and smooth with a compressor and you should be good. I would honestly record it without a compressor and have it done later in the down stream mix. Remember, you can only add to the part later, not take away. If your compressor is too compressed when mixing, you will not be able to fix it.

When I record, I record clean, unless the part gets an effect. We will compress the sound later to get a smooth blend.

19. I dig it. Funny someone said you sound like the strokes but let's consider who the strokes sound like. 80's Iggy Pop. I would embrace the 80's feel and go with a little bit of chorus on the verse and outro, and I would add some overdrive (similar to Muse's on the verse of starlight). That would sound great. Just my opinion of course