1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What effect is this bassist using?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xdanxx, Aug 18, 2012.

1. xdanxx

xdanxx

Mar 12, 2008

What effect is he using once the jamming starts later in the video. Can be heard clearly around the 13 minute mark. I'm assuming its just an envelope filter?

2. Sounds like a synth pedal blended with clean signal. It's like an envelope filter, but it sounds like somebody talking through a throat mike. Digitech Bass Synth Wah will do something like this, but you gotta do some tweaking to make sure it tracks.

Great vid, BTW, these guys sound cool. Not too far from me, either, maybe I'll catch them someday.

3. xdanxx

xdanxx

Mar 12, 2008
    Yeah they really throw down interesting jams. Thanks for the tip ill have to look into synths.

4. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    I'm gong to instead suggest you look at vids for the Digitech Bass Synth Wah, which isn't really a synth, but will get that sound. They pop up in the classifieds fairly often for cheap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HExZ9_cvx-M

Sorry to suggest something uncomplicated and inexpensive!

5. xdanxx

xdanxx

Mar 12, 2008
    What exactly is the difference between a synth and a synth wah then?

6. Bass Synth Wah is the name Digitech calls their pedal. I don't how it's not a synth. Bass signal goes in, synth sounds come out. Sounds like a synth pedal to me.

The weakness of the Digitech is that it has no LFO and no support for an expression pedal so once you dial in a sound you're stuck with it for the whole song. For what the guy in the vid is doing that's probably fine. Plus it's only $70 bran new, and it works great as an envelope filter and an octave pedal.

7. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    In terms of bass/guitar pedals, a synthesizer has an oscillator which makes the main sound, along with a filter which can change that sound over time if desired. Examples would be the Boss SYB-3 and SYB-5, the Pigtronix Mothership, the Behringer BSY-600 (clone of the SYB-5), and the Markbass Super Synth. That oscillator requires the pedal to track the pitch of the input, which means one must play more cleanly in order for the pedal to clearly understand that pitch. I don't have a problem with my various pedals, possibly because I turn down the tone and palm mute to get rid of extraneous sounds, but there are tones of topics regarding making them work.

There are also filters which use the bass's sound (so no oscillators, and therefore no tracking), but which trigger a filter envelope when a new pluck is detected, and the strength of the filter (how open it is) is based on how strong the signal is. Some of them are marketed as "synth" pedals, like the Digitech XSW Synth Wah and XBW Bass Synth Wah (supposedly for guitar and bass respectively, but I've used each on both), and the Ibanez SB7 Synth Bass. (I still don't know if the Korg G5 is actually a synth or a filter pedal.)

A lot of topics here talk about getting a "synth" sound by combining some kind of fuzz/dirt pedal with an envelope filter. I own and use the Brown Dog and Agent OOFunk in combination, as well as things like a Blowtorch and a Groove Regulator.

And, for all of that, I sometimes use my Synth Wahs and my SB7 Synth Bass. They're easy to use, and as they don't have to do pitch tracking (necessary for an actual synth pedal), they're much easier to dial in and use.